Revved up pistachios!

Started by KyNola, September 02, 2011, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Doing a custom order of Seemore's Blazing Pistachios today.  I found a great canister to hold the pistachios while I get the sauce ready to put on them.

Uh Larry, isn't that a Reveo Marivac Canister?

Why yes.....yes it is!  Actually here's the rest of the story.  The other day STC and I were discussing Seemore's Blazing Pistachios and I lamented that I darn near twisted my arm off trying to stir 3 lbs of the nuts in the sauce to get them coated.  STC says "I think I'll try using the Reveo" so this is STC's brilliant idea and it is indeed brilliant.  Made up the sauce as usual.  Dumped the pistachios in the canister.  Put the sauce in and drew the vac.  The vac is primarily to insure the lid doesn't fly off although I did see the sauce drawing up in the canister a bit.  Next I tumbled them for 5 minutes.  That's all it took to evenly coat the nuts.  Next onto the Bradley racks into the Bradley for 2 hours of hickory smoke at 225 and then additional drying time in the Bradley at 200.

Thank you STC for a brilliant idea again!  Now you guys know why I say I confer with my wingman STC before almost every smoke I do.  The guy has some great ideas.     

squirtthecat

I was afraid they would be mutilated by the tumbling...    Glad you tried it first on that $16 bag o' nuts!   ;)

I have a 3 pound bag of Pistachios in my truck as we speak.   Gonna be a copy cat this weekend.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Like I said earlier, this is a custom request as in someone came to me with 3 lbs of pistachios and asked me to smoke them.
Finished product below

Since I smoked those for someone else and I know they will be going to a Labor Day party, I figured I might as well personalize them a little. ;)

Yeah I know, a little hokie but what the heck! 8)

squirtthecat

So how long in the Bradley after you dropped it to 200°?   

rdevous

I have the FoodSaver square vacuum marinader canister.  Would this work to coat the nuts?

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

KyNola

Pat, I go about another 45 minutes or so to dry when I drop the oven temp to 200.  They are going to stick to the frogmats a bit so feel the top of them to see if they are for the most part dry.  When you take them out, break them loose from the frogmats, they're not stuck stuck.  Then let them cool completely on the racks before you put them in a container or bag.  If you don't let them completely cool they will sweat in the container.

I rotate the racks at the 1 hour smoke mark and 2 hour smoke mark, top to bottom, front to back.

Jan and I have this down.  We now know the amount of each ingredient of the sauce it takes to do 3 lbs to our liking.  We ramped the heat up from the original recipe that Seemore posted.

Thank you Scott and June for posting such a great recipe.

squirtthecat

Cool.  I've got your measurements and will be doing this tomorrow.   Thanks!

KyNola

Ray, can't say for sure as I have never used the Food Saver vac canister.  Try it and see but for me the key was the ability of the Reveo to tumble the nuts for 5 minutes.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Looks good Larry and there is Mark with a quick Label for you.

(Mark make the Y into a y and you have it nailed!!) ;D

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

That is awesome Mark!  Thanks Dude!  I'll even take it with a capital "Y". ;)

Seriously, I appreciate it!

Tenpoint5

Ole Mark does do a pretty good job doesn't he Larry?

I have to Thank him again for my label as well.

NePaSmoKer

Freaking awesome Larry. Pat is a sharp guy.

Sent Via My ET Supplied Sausage phone. SHHHH, Don't let the HAARP Peeps know.

TestRocket

Looks like a good idea to me and now I have to go buy something else to... (to easy)  ;)