Chicken Wings

Started by OzSmoker, September 03, 2011, 12:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzSmoker

So I thought that I would give smoking some chicken wings a go so I bought some nice meaty wings and coated them up with a nice rub - it was similar to Jan's Dry Rub with a few changes, not as much heat and some ground coriander seeds (that would be cilantro in North American).

In a bag in and in the fridge for a couple of hours to get all friendly with each other.  Then it was to the smoker 1:40 of smoke at 225 then another hour and all was done.  I was surprised how crispy they ended up just in the smoker.  There was no need to finish them off in the oven or grill. 

I finished them off with a bit of Tabasco Garlic sauce and then it was all to the eating.

All bagged up for the fridge

Just prior to them all disappearing

mikecorn.1

Did you put anything else on the skin to get it crispy. Mine always come out rubbery and have to finish of in the grill.

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SouthernSmoked

Yum!   Luuuuuuuuuvs me sum bar-b-q wings!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OzSmoker

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 03, 2011, 05:41:24 AM
Did you put anything else on the skin to get it crispy. Mine always come out rubbery and have to finish of in the grill.

No these guys came straight out of the smoker nice and crispy.  I have done it three times so far with wings and they are crispy, not deep fried crispy, but definitely not rubbery.  Being a fairly warm place the smoker easily gets up to 225F and holds it very well even with the moisture in the wings.  Maybe that might be some of the difference.

Full of smoke

So much food,so little time...........Looks great and am sure they tasted the same.

ghost9mm

Well now, those wings and a few adult beverages...Oh yeah...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

classicrockgriller

Those do look yummy.

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 03, 2011, 05:41:24 AM
---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike with that small of a load, if you use the bottom rack on your

smoker, they ought to come out more on the crisp side.

MrRaven

wow - those look really great! I often put them on the grill to get them crispy but if they came out like that I wouldn't need to!