Dove Breast Suggestions?

Started by SoCalBuilder, September 02, 2011, 03:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

My brother-in-law just handed me a dozen dove breasts, ready to be cooked.
Anyone have any bright ideas? I suppose an IT of 165 should be right. Shouldn't take long ;)
I'll make sure and post pics.  Everyone have a great Labor Day!!!

devo

This is for Pheasant but it might work those also.

This recipe is not for smoked pheasant under glass...it's for pheasant under chicken skin! Don't laugh. It's true! Use the skins from chicken leg quarters to protect the delicate wild pheasant breasts from the drying effect of the smoker. The fatty chicken skin helps the smoking pheasant retain moisture and adds a bit of flavor to boot.

The pheasant is soaked in a weak brine overnight, seasoned, wrapped in the chicken skin, and smoked.

Smoked Pheasant

2 whole
3 pieces
1 quart
3 Tbs
1 Tsp
1 Tsp
1 Tsp
1/2 Tsp
1/2 Tsp
pheasant breasts, skinned
skin from leg quarters
cold water
Kosher salt
onion powder
garlic powder
dried parsley
white pepper
paprika

Dissolve the salt in the cold water to make the brine. Soak the pheasant in the brine overnight, but no more than eight hours. When the birds are finished brining, rinse them and dry them off with paper towels.

Mix up the spices and season the breasts lightly on all surfaces. Wrap the chicken skin over the pheasant so it's covered completely on top. You may have to play with the positioning a little. Use one whole piece and one half piece of the leg quarter skins on each breast. When the skin is in place, secure it with toothpicks. Dust a little more of the spice mix onto the skin.

Use alder and apple for smoke...these will give the pheasant a light smoky flavor.

Smoke for four to six hours at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the temperature of the smoked pheasant reaches 165 degrees.

TestRocket

Wrap um in bacon and add some Dale's sauce and cook them on the grill.  Well that's the way I did them back in 1980. We also opened a can of beans and toasted some white bread on the grill as sides. Oh! And some beer! The good old days!  ;D

DADAKOTA

Fillet the breast meat off the bone.  Insert a spear of fresh garlic into each breast half. Quarter a jalapeno and remove seeds/filament.  Fill 1/4 of jalapeno with creme cheese and sandwich between the dove breast halves.  Wrap with a piece of bacon and grill.

KyNola

Or....marinade them in pineapple juice for a while.  Take a slice of waterchess nut and apply to each side of the breast assuming it is still on the bone.  Then, wrap in bacon and toss in the smoker until you feel good about the dove breast being cooked.

Caribou

We always kept the breast meat on the bone and wrapped them in bacon.
Your brother-in-law must have endured some heat on his dove hunt.
My dad called me last night from down near ElCentro and it was still 104F at 7:30pm when he called.  :o :o
Carolyn

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: Caribou on September 02, 2011, 08:05:45 PM
We always kept the breast meat on the bone and wrapped them in bacon.
Your brother-in-law must have endured some heat on his dove hunt.
My dad called me last night from down near ElCentro and it was still 104F at 7:30pm when he called.  :o :o
Carolyn

Thanks for mentioning leaving the bones. I wasn't looking forward to dealing with dealing with that. My BIL has a spot somewhere her in San DIego County, near the border I think, that he shoots at. He's not ambitious enough to go all the way over there.

Randy

Caribou

Chili Head

We always wrap em in bacon, sprinkle some garlic salt and grill them. We just eat them right off the grill! A couple cold beers and you're good to go! They never make into the house :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalBuilder

I took Caribou's suggestion and just wrapped with bacon and a little salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Went in at 225 degrees with 3 pucks of apple. It took longer than I thought it would to hit 165 IT, a little over an hour. Regardless, they came out pretty tasty, but until someone else shoots them and dresses them out, I'll have to wait a while before I do this again.

Mini Breasts

Wrapped and ready

Ta-Daaa :D  Notice 2 never made it inside ::)

DTAggie

Cooked about 60 last opening weekend.  We always take breast off the bone.  Put a piece of jalapeno and onion between two beast pieces, wrap in bacon.  Sprinkle whatever seasoning we have at the lease, then cook over hot mesquite fire.  MMM  MMMM

muebe

Those look great to me ;)

I have never had Dove before. Had plenty of Quail though :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Those look great.

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike