Pulled pork for 50 people

Started by Mach1, August 31, 2011, 10:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

After smoking my first butt last weeken and having a couple people over on Monday to enjoy the fruits of my labor, I have been assigned (by my mom so can't say no) to do pulled pork for a family party in 2 weeks, so once again I request  knowledge and advise from ye learned ones  :D.

How much meat would you guys do(in raw weight)? I'm thinking of starting a couple days in advance and just reheating it the day of the party. From your experiences what would your plan of attacks be? Any other advice?

Thanks for the help guys!

Ka Honu

Cook as far ahead as possible and freeze to reheat.  Figure on...

... one pound raw pork butt to produce ½ pound pulled pork per person.  That's two 4-ounce sandwiches.  That should provide plenty for everyone and, if you're lucky, yield some (but not much) leftovers.  It's kind of the standard around here but YMMV.

wthr_dude

I'm very interested in this thread.  How does freezing and reheating work? Crock pot to reheat?

I have been wanting to try one but it is so much meat to use all at once for just a couple people

car54

If you freeze and thaw do not add BBQ sauce before the freeze. I believe that the tomatoes make down the meat and makes it mushy.

Brad

squirtthecat

Ditto on the 50 pounds raw.

Do you have a foodsaver?   If so, freeze the pulled pork (not pre-sauced as car54 pointed out) in 4 pound blocks.   Start thawing them a couple days before the party and put the bags in a roaster full of very hot (but not boiling) water the morning of the party.   They'll heat quick and easily in the bags and stay nice and moist.   Don't let the water boil or it will open up the seals on the bags!

When it is time to serve, drain the roaster and cut the bags open and dump that piggy goodness in.  You can add some apple juice/cider vinegar/rice wine vinegar/Hab's vaunted vinegar to wake it up a bit.   We put sauce on the side.

I'd start this weekend if I were you...   You're looking at 6-7 average sized butts.

Ka Honu

For a party a week or so away, freezer burn is not likely to be an issue so if you're not as well equipped (so to speak) as STC, you can freeze in Ziploc bags and reheat directly in a crockpot (adding a little liquid if necessary).

We also serve with a variety of sauces on the side - usually one red, one yellow, vaunted vinegar, and maybe one of those gooey ones if someone has given us a bottle.

wthr_dude

Sounds easy enough, I have a long weekend with a standby phone attached to my hip so it may be the time to try out  butt!! 

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 01, 2011, 04:45:49 AM

Do you have a foodsaver?   If so, freeze the pulled pork (not pre-sauced as car54 pointed out) in 4 pound blocks.   Start thawing them a couple days before the party and put the bags in a roaster full of very hot (but not boiling) water the morning of the party.   They'll heat quick and easily in the bags and stay nice and moist.   Don't let the water boil or it will open up the seals on the bags!

When it is time to serve, drain the roaster and cut the bags open and dump that piggy goodness in.  You can add some apple juice/cider vinegar/rice wine vinegar/Hab's vaunted vinegar to wake it up a bit.   We put sauce on the side.

I'd start this weekend if I were you...   You're looking at 6-7 average sized butts.

Ditto!

Done many partys just like that but I save the drippings from the cook, remove the fat and add back in when reheating.

KyNola

Mach1,
These guys have you well covered.  STC has done more poundage of pork butts than anyone I can think of except for maybe FLBR.

Follow the advice of STC, OU812 and Ka Honu and you can't go wrong.  Wait.......let me rephrase, follow the advice of those 3 guys on pork butts.  In other matters any one of the 3 can get you in REAL trouble! ;) ;D

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on September 01, 2011, 07:25:39 AM
Mach1,
These guys have you well covered.  STC has done more poundage of pork butts than anyone I can think of except for maybe FLBR.

Follow the advice of STC, OU812 and Ka Honu and you can't go wrong.  Wait.......let me rephrase, follow the advice of those 3 guys on pork butts.  In other matters any one of the 3 can get you in REAL trouble! ;) ;D

Who me? ::)  ;D

Mr Walleye

Mach1

Here's a link to a post, start to finish, on a smoke for a large crowd a year ago.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22218.0

I really like Habs Vaunted Vinegar Sauce for adding a little moisture to the pulled pork.

Habs also posted a link to Lay's Tangy Carolina Sauce. This stuff was to die for! It was clearly the winner when it came to the various sauces I had. For me.... bun, pulled pork (heaping), Lay's Carolina Sauce and finally some cole slaw.... mmmmmm.... Heaven! In my opinion this sauce is awesome! When I make it, I don't thicken it as thick as regular BBQ sauce. I prefer it a little runny.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

50 lbs raw, and all the  fixings,  start 2 to 3 days  ahead, reheat in several crock pots, may  want to consider some variations when you  re heat, like adding bbq sauce, bare pulled pork, and a couple of other ways

Good luck

classicrockgriller

Mike thanks for the link to the Lay's sauce.

That looks mighty good.

Mach1 if you can get your hands on a bottle of Starnes, serve that on the side.

No wait! Save the Starnes for yourself. Killer good.

hal4uk

Quote from: OU812 on September 01, 2011, 06:36:40 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on September 01, 2011, 04:45:49 AM

Ditto!

Done many partys just like that but I save the drippings from the cook, remove the fat and add back in when reheating.
Ditto x2!

If you forget to save some "rendering", a little buttah works too.
---
When you freeze your packages, shape 'em up flat so they thaw evenly later.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby