Not getting hot?

Started by Wilbur, September 04, 2011, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

I'm trying to do some jerky, this morning when I warmed up the smoker the door thermometer was about 200 and that's with the slider to max,  now I can't get it over 100.
I can touch the main heater element which I've read on here is sposed to be 500 watts? Mine is an old smoker but I hardly use it, lools to me like the element is glass?  Seems the only heat I'm getting is from the burner for the pucks.

I had a problem years ago with the heat control slider thing, put in a new one and up till now it's been fine, but then again I only use it 1 or 2 times per year.

When I move the slider to OFF the light stays on, when I move it to max it doesn't really get much brighter, so that would mean the slider is shot again, right?

This is my first time back to this forum in years, are these things prone to problems or wast? In the meantime I'm finishing the jerky in the oven, what a PITA!

classicrockgriller

You can try unplugging the connection plug from the back of the

smoke generator and plugging it into the back of the cabinet to

see if your element gets hot.

If it does then the problem lies in the smoke generator.

You might want to check out our FAQ's

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=748#post748

Wilbur

Nothing, tested the element with an ohm meter, wide open, guess I need a new one.
Guess I'll be smoking my next batch of jerky in the Bradly, drying it in the oven, doing 2 batches today..

In a nutshell what are all these heater mods people are talking about?
Is there a 500 and a 900 watt element available now?

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on September 04, 2011, 03:11:06 PMIn a nutshell what are all these heater mods people are talking about?
Is there a 500 and a 900 watt element available now?

People have been replacing the stock 500W heating element with either an aftermarket 900W finned heater or adding a second 500W element (dual element mod) for a total of 1000W.  I did the dual element mod and added a PID controller in my smoker generator box. 

I am smoking a pork butt today and I timed how long it took to reach 225*F from being totally off.  In the past with just the one 500W element the cooking chamber would take up to 45 minutes or longer to reach normal operating temp.  Today, with a 9x13 pan of cold water in the bottom, it took 9 minutes to reach 225*F with an outdoor temp of 70*F.

Bradley Accessories - User Modifications

2nd element or the 900 watt single PICS OF FAN MOD ADDED (has some pics of the Grainger 900W element)

If you upgrade your heating element it is recommended to not run it with the stock slider control.  They say it is not designed to handle the 900/1000W through it.  Either get a stand-alone plug-n-play PID controller or, if you want to save about 1/2 the cost, get an internal unit and install it in either a project box or the smoke generator box like I did in the pic below. 

Wilbur

Okay, what's PID stand for?
Like I said, I haven't been to this forum in years, I didn't know there was so many Bradley mods being done, will hafta sit down and do some reading.  I would like to be able to get it up to temp faster, when I load it up with beef jerky or fish it takes a long time to get the heat up.

Did you do a thread on your PID, looks like you did a nice job on it.

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on September 04, 2011, 04:18:11 PM
Okay, what's PID stand for?

PID Controller Definition

I mainly followed the how-to instructions in this thread:  PID Controller Installation

Links to the various types of PID controllers that are popular with the people on the forum can be found here: Forum: Bradley Accessories - User Modifications

Wilbur

Thanks.
So how come these kinda mod threads aren't stickied on here?

(Probly cuz this site is run by Bradley who doesn't think the mods are needed, won't admit that they are or possibly aren't safe or for liability reasons??)

devo

Quote from: Wilbur on September 04, 2011, 07:08:43 PM
Thanks.

(Probly cuz this site is run by Bradley who doesn't think the mods are needed, won't admit that they are or possibly aren't safe or for liability reasons??)

LOL
You could be right on that one. Makes you wonder why they don't make a Bradely extreme model with all the toys included and charge for it.

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on September 04, 2011, 07:08:43 PM
Thanks.

The liability issue is probably the main reason that Bradley doesn't openly promote modifications to the smoker.  For one, I'm sure a modified smoker wouldn't be covered under warranty.  Also, both the 900W and dual 500W mods leave 120V exposed terminals inside the cooking chamber and I'm sure the Bradley people don't want to be held accountable for that.

On the flip side Bradley probably enjoys the mods that owners are doing to their units.  Bradley keeps selling parts to do the mods and it keeps us from switching to some other brand of smoker.