Why didn't you guys tell me about Tri-Tip ?!?!?

Started by coolsmoker, August 31, 2011, 08:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Smoked one last night...
My schedule changed, so after a low smoke for  2-1/2 hours, I move it to a 150° oven and let ride a while.
Came out very tender and still fairly rare!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

coolsmoker

Quote from: hal4uk on September 01, 2011, 04:44:48 PM
Smoked one last night...

Me too.   Since discovering the beefy goodness of the tri-tip, less than a week ago...   I've already smoked 3 of them!!!  And I have 1 more in the fridge waitng for it's turn on saturday. 

I've only been able to find them at one local meat market, but they are all on the smaller side there.  I haven't found one over 1.5 lbs yet.  They all seem to be between 1.4 and 1.5 lbs.   I'd prefer to find some closer to the 2 lb size if possible.   I guess I'll just have to keep looking. 

Of the three that I've done so far, I've done them all the same way and they've all turned out excellent.  I leave them in the Bradley till IT hits 143-145, then a 20-30 min FTC before slicing.  All have come out very tender and flavorful this way, with rave reveiws from the family.

Doctor Woody

Quote from: muebe on August 31, 2011, 08:20:53 AM
Glad it turned out great for you :)

Us west coasters have been making tri-tips for years. Tri-tips are always available at any store in California for cheap! And briskets here are kinda pricey. It seems to be starting to catch on in the eastern states. Tomorrow there is a sale at the local grocery store for tri-tips at a $1.99 a lb :o limit 2. So my wife and I will be separated in line so we can get four of them ;)

Hahahaha  You and me both.  I'm heading out any minute to do the same.  Ralph's!

Doctor Woody

Taking the tri-tips out when they are still rather rare is certainly a nice way to go, but this time I would like to cook them longer until they are fork tender.  I will look for some recipes on here.  If anyone can point me to a good "slow" method, please do!

ccfdmike

This is the number one thing we BBQ in California. Awesome piece of beef!

Doctor Woody

I was NOT happy yesterday when I went to buy the tri tip.  I didn't notice on the ad that it said "One Day Only".  The sale was only for Thursday and I missed it.  Too cheap to pay $3/lb for untrimmed tri tip!

So I will be smoking chicken and fish instead!

SiFumar

I usually pay $2.99 for untrimed choice, or $3.99 for Angus choice.  IMHO for a tasty meat and no bones, it is well worth it.

Chili Head

I've been reading all the hype about these and I'm dying to try em!
I wish they were available here!  ???

Doctor Woody

Quote from: Chili Head on September 03, 2011, 07:31:29 PM

I wonder why certain places don't offer them?  Seems like a pretty common cut of meat to me.

muebe

Quote from: Doctor Woody on September 03, 2011, 10:01:13 PM

I wonder why certain places don't offer them?  Seems like a pretty common cut of meat to me.

Woody it is a common cut on the west coast but hard to find in the east.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Doctor Woody

Quote from: muebe on September 04, 2011, 08:42:08 AM
Quote from: Doctor Woody on September 03, 2011, 10:01:13 PM

Woody it is a common cut on the west coast but hard to find in the east.

Come to think of it, my parents don't see it too often where they live (in IL) so I guess it's more common here on the west coast.

squirtthecat

They say there is no demand for it around here, so they grind it for ground sirloin.    GRRRRRR!

Doctor Woody

I bet it's possible to have someone at your favorite meat market save a few out.  If they get a few people asking for it, they might just start selling them whole.

pensrock

what would you ask the butcher for? tri-tip? if he does not sell them would he know what i was asking for? is this known by any other names?

Doctor Woody

Quote from: pensrock on September 04, 2011, 01:47:45 PM
what would you ask the butcher for? tri-tip? if he does not sell them would he know what i was asking for? is this known by any other names?

If you talk to someone that has been working with meat for years and they don't know what a tri tip roast is, you can bring a print-out showing the cuts of meat on a cow, just in case.