I give up.... new door hinge received a few weeks ago already cracking

Started by Dean405, September 05, 2011, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean405

I am the only one that has even open or closed the door on my smoker. I can tell you it has not been abused. The first plastic bottom that came from the factory was busted in many pieces under the plastic after I got it off. I inspected the second one before I installed it and didn't see any cracking. I was shocked to see the crack in the new hinge because I knew for sure that it not seen any rough treatment and I great care when I installed it. I cant say for sure what happened to the original one before I got it, but I can tell you without hesitation that the replacement hinge kit has not ANY rough treatment.

muebe

I did not treat my OBS door rough at all either. The plastic is simply becoming brittle and cracking. There were no cracks or damage when I first received my unit from Amazon.com There is some type of problem with the plastic on the door and it is becoming more of a issue for other forum members. My door was close to falling off and I had no idea until a post from another member convinced me to take a closer look.

And I mention the elements because Bradley did recognize the problem and take corrective action. I was giving them kudos for acting on the problem promptly. I am not blaming Bradley for the elements because an outside supplier provided them with faulty elements.

I love my Bradley and this forum but I am not going to tell other forum members that there is not a problem when I had it happen to me. A crack in the front panel is one thing and mostly cosmetic unless water/grease gets into the electronics but having a door fall off your new smoker is not cosmetic.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

wthr_dude

Trust me I hear ya, I have voiced my concerns more than once on this forum.  I have gone through 3 heater elemnts a door and the hinges/base plates so far.  The last heater element was one of the "New Supplier" elements or at least I am assuming it was because the serial numbers matched, and it only had abt 12hrs of use on it.  I just did my first 20hr smoke with the new element so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it holds out for a while.

I love using the smoker but as of right now it is the last Item I would recommend to a potential new buyer.  Everyone talks about how great it is for the price but I don't consider 600$ a great deal for a steel box with plastic parts that aren't made to last

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokin Soon

Have they always had plastic hinges? I keep looking at my 2008 DBS and I cannot tell.

wthr_dude

@ Gus,

Retail on new 6 rack digital smokers at Cabelas is 599.00 and BassPro is 550.00

GusRobin

Quote from: wthr_dude on September 08, 2011, 12:46:18 PM
@ Gus,

Retail on new 6 rack digital smokers at Cabelas is 599.00 and BassPro is 550.00
You shop at the wrong stores ;D ;D ;D
Amazon: 4 rack digital= $339; 6 rack =$459 free shipping also (I think)
WalMart: 4 rack digital = $380; 6 rack = $463 free shipping
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

northof60girl

Buying from a local family run business might be an option as well.  I phoned a family run fish and bait place and told them everything I wanted (Digital Smoker, 4 extra racks, pucks, and cover) and asked them to put their best price together and asked what they could throw in.  I got the $25 Bradley cookbook.  I know, lol, not much but hey smaller (non-national companies) may not be able to give you a break on the price but sometimes you can barter for other items they may sell and it supports local family run businesses!   ;D

mikecorn.1

Quote from: northof60girl on September 08, 2011, 03:23:34 PM
Buying from a local family run business might be an option as well.  I phoned a family run fish and bait place and told them everything I wanted (Digital Smoker, 4 extra racks, pucks, and cover) and asked them to put their best price together and asked what they could throw in.  I got the $25 Bradley cookbook.  I know, lol, not much but hey smaller (non-national companies) may not be able to give you a break on the price but sometimes you can barter for other items they may sell and it supports local family run businesses!   ;D
Be sure and get 3 bubba pucks, a stand alone digital thermometer like the Maverick et732, and you might as well get some frog mats. You can get these items at
http://yardandpool.com
Then, when you hang around here long enough, you'll start reading about the other TOYS :). Then you'll get the itch and take the plunge. In the last 2 months I broke down and got a Auber PID dual probe, a Charbroil SRG, and a Traeger
Pellet Grill. 8) ;) :) :eek:

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike