Cold salmon smoking

Started by turden, September 07, 2011, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turden

Bonjour, HI !

It is possible to have a continu temperature of 28 degre C with the Bradley smoker model BT1S1 ?
I want to smoke at cold atlantic samon...

It is better a dry brine or a liquid brine ?

Denis
Denis, à la recherche de la recette parfaite pour le fumage à froid du saumon. Mon fumoir Bradley est le modèle BT1S1

KyNola

Welcome to the forum and yes, it is possible to maintain a 28 degree C temp.  That is 82.4 degrees Farenheit.  Here's how you can pull that off.  Depending on the air temp around you, you may be able to just run the smoke generator still attached to the tower.  You may have to place a bag or two of ice in the tower.  Just be sure not to turn on the heating element in the tower.  If the heat begins to jump up you have a couple choices. 1, Prop the door open a quarter of an inch or so so the heat goes out.  Don't worry about losing some smoke, there will be plenty in the tower or 2. Make a cold smoke adapter.  A cold smoke adapter can be this simple.  Remove the smoke generator from the tower.  Now get a cardboard box large enough that you can cut a slot in it so the puck burning plate is inside along with the water bowl.  Next you need to cut a hole in the top of the box so you can insert a clothes dryer vent hose into the hole and then run it up into the tower. With that set up you have no heat in the tower at all as long as you don't turn on the tower heating element.

Are you looking to make something along the lines of gravlox?  If so, I would use a dry brine.  Just my preference. Other folks more knowledgeable than me will come along to give you better advice.  Also, check out the recipe website.  It has good gravlox recipes along with all kinds of helpful tips. www.susanminor.org  Enjoy yourself and have fun.

turden

Merci Kynola,

Finaly I find that Bradley sell a module for cold smoking. So I will buy it... Il will be more simple.

Denis Turcotte
Denis, à la recherche de la recette parfaite pour le fumage à froid du saumon. Mon fumoir Bradley est le modèle BT1S1

KyNola

You're more than welcome and I should have mentioned the Bradley cold smoke adapter.  It works great!