Newbie Thinking about doing a turkey breast

Started by Wolverinesmoker, September 09, 2011, 05:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverinesmoker

HI All,

I am new to the smoking world and am thinking about doing a turkey breast. I have done a pork shoulder and ribs with success. However I did some chicken breasts that were a little dried out and did not come out that well. Is there something special that needs to be done when smoking poultry? As well what kind of wood would you use?

I have the standard four rack smoker, non digital. Any other tips would be appreciated as well

mikecorn.1

Good morning. Welcome to the forum.
You smoke by internal temp and not so much by time. Get a Maverick et732 to monitor smoker and food temp remotely. :)

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wolverinesmoker

Just bought one on Amazon, any ideas on what wood. As well I saw in a previous post that you can do them frozen. However he used a hook and it looked like some netting. I just have the racks, I am assuming that will work as well.

squirtthecat

I do a lot of turkey...

Rub with some EVOO and your favorite rub.  Check out Jan's Rub on the recipe site - it is made for poultry.
(hell, it would make a brick taste good)

250° cabinet temp, 2-ish hours of smoke.   Take to an IT of 160° and foil and let rest for a bit.  The temperature will cruise up to 165°.

Is it a bone-in breast?

squirtthecat

Quote from: Wolverinesmoker on September 09, 2011, 07:51:32 AM
Just bought one on Amazon, any ideas on what wood. As well I saw in a previous post that you can do them frozen. However he used a hook and it looked like some netting. I just have the racks, I am assuming that will work as well.

Yep, just stick it in there.  About 1/2 way up in the cabinet.   Keep the vent 100% open.   Hickory/Pecan/Apple - all are good on turkey.

Wolverinesmoker

Will do, I haven't bought the breast yet. Do you reccommend bone in or boneless.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Wolverinesmoker on September 09, 2011, 07:54:26 AM
Will do, I haven't bought the breast yet. Do you reccommend bone in or boneless.

Either will work, but I always go for the boneless all white meat ones.    I smoke, rest, wrap up tight and toss in the fridge overnight.    The next day slice them for turkey lunchmeat and vacuum seal it all in 1/2-3/4 pound packages.

The bone-in ones are usually a fraction of the price, so you can try one of those first and see how you like the smoke/rub combination on it.

I do them frozen, but if you thaw it first, you can get it cooked in just a few hours, tops.

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome... Now what ever squirt has advised you to do...do it...when squirt speaks about turkey or chicken we all listen...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ghost9mm on September 09, 2011, 09:18:08 AM
Hello and welcome... Now what ever squirt has advised you to do...do it...when squirt speaks about turkey or chicken we all listen...

X2

Heck, If STC talks about anything, I listen! ;D

Wolverinesmoker

Great tips, Think I am going to give it a whirl tomorrow. I will try and post some pics asap.