Bisquit burn length

Started by snapper39, May 02, 2004, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper39

Ijust finished mt first extended period smoke. I did a 14 lb sirloin that I had marinated in a salty garlicy Kobe sauce. It took 6 hours to get to 130 degrees internal. I had the temp set at 220. I turned the unit off and let it cook another hour while slowy coming back to room temp. The end product was incredible to say the least. Company over for dinner and we polished 3 quarters of the 14 lbs off.
However during the smoke session I noticed periods when not much smoke was being generated and then large quantities at other times. When done I pulled the generator off the mounting brackets and noticed that the bisquit on the burner was totaly spent, the next one in line was nearly spent and the third one which is practically in the unit itself had started to burn. I am getting alot of smoke backing up through the generator. Is this all normal??
Any help would be appreciated.

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Bassman

Snapper, It sounds like the advancer is not advancing. When you push the advance button does it advance right away? You should watch it and make sure it advances every 20 minutes by itself. I had a problem with my first smoke generator where the pucks would not advance by themselves, but it did work when I pushed the button. The result was I called Bradley and they sent me a new smoke generator no questions asked. Hope this helps[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

snapper39

Thanks Jack: I did find myself manualy advancing alot to try an compensate. Did Bradley make you send the unit back first before replacing?
Snap

Bassman

No,they said keep the old one for parts.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Snapper,
You could certainly have a defective part, but I notice that there are "peak smoking periods" within the 20 minutes of a bisquette cycle and mine drops a new puck right on time.  If you had to advance every puck manually then you definitely have a problem, if you're advancing just because you don't think there is enough smoke, yet it's not been 20 minutes, I would leave it alone, it's working OK.

Regarding the smoke coming back through the generator itself, this happens when your damper is closed.  I find that it takes only a small crack in the vent to stop the smoke from filtering back through the generator.

In reference to your description of the pucks in their positions ie totally spent on the tip, partially spent in position 2, and fresh in position 3, this is totally normal for your last 3 pucks.  If you do not have any more pucks in the tube, this is as far as they will advance, and the generator starts to burn the puck in the "on deck" position.  Either hand advance the last 2 pucks at 20 minute intervals, or buy the "Bubba Pucks" which are aluminum (I think) spacers that advance the last of the wood for you.

Good Luck either way[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

snapper39

Received my shiny new generator yesterday, can't wait for the weekend again.
Snap
The folks at Bradley were awesome

gotbbq

Snapper-

Sounds good, got the recipe?  What cut of meat did you ask for?  Also, common for the last 3 puck to burn if you don't use bubba pucks.[^][^][^]

gotbbq