Kummock's Brine -- what Soy Sauce do you use?

Started by Smokeville, September 12, 2011, 02:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I use Kikkoman's. Mostly because it is fairly "light" and what I like for sushi.  ;D

Chinese style Soy sauce is much darker and I think saltier.

So, what soy sauce are you using? (A list of the ingredients would be great!)

Regards, Rich

tsquared

I use kikkoman's teriyaki, the regular amounts of brown sugar and pickling salt, 4 or 5 crushed cloves of fresh garlic rather than the powder,and 2 tablespoons of cayenne rather than 3. At the air drying stage I have 3 spices to put on: chopped fresh rosemary from the garden, crushed black pepper, and crushed dried juniper berries. I sprinkle these on when the surface of the pieces are at the  tacky stage. I've done 3 sessions of 8 racks each in the last 8 weeks and these pieces vanish like smoke. (Spring salmon fishing here on the island has been the best anyone can remember this year)
Happy smoking!
T2

weedenb

I use kikkoman's teriyaki also but I would like to hear anyone's opinion on using kikkoman soy instead. I'm really reluctant to mess with perfection using the teriyaki but it would be a bit easier (and cheaper) to use soy instead.

Guess I could do a trial run but my current expectations run a bit high and I would hate to be disappointed!

The rest of the stuff is the standard Kummock recipe.

Anyone been down this road yet?

Thanks,

Robert........

FLBentRider

I'm pretty sure I used kikkoman.

It was most excellent.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Keymaster

I use Dales seasoning which is pretty much Soy sauced based but has killer other seasoning that add excellent flavor to the salmon. I buy mine in the six pack from amazon.com :)

http://dalesseasoning.com/

Smokeville

weedenb, I use Kikkoman's soy and not terriyaki because of the cost. A big tin of Kikkoman's is $10.99 here and the Terriyaki is $16.99 at the same store for a smaller jug.

I was hoping to find a cheaper soy that is acceptable. At that same Chinese store I could buy big jugs for $5-6. And I use a LOT of it because with selling at the Farmers' Market I can go through a jug a week.

Regards, Rich

FLBentRider

I would taste test them and compare the sodium amounts. Perhaps reduce the amount of soy and add some water.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

weedenb

Hmmm.. looks like the teriaki is pretty much soy plus some other stuff (which is probably the secret good stuff). Sodium is about 50% more using straight soy but I imagine thats probably not real significant as far as the overall brine is concerned and could be adjusted for?

Main question is how would it affect the flavor? I dismissed Kummocks recipe for years because it didn't seem quite right (cayenne pepper on salmon ?? good norwegians would never do that!!) then I tried a batch and nothing's been the same since.

Price in the big scheme really doesn't matter but my only supply for Kikkoman Teriaki is about $18/ gallon at the local grocer. Costco has Kikkoman Soy for about half that but I suppose that is the least expensive bit overall once you add up the other stuff you try and hide from the wife  ;)

Kummok

LOL, Weedenb! You'd make a great addition to our Norwegian breakfast club (every Wed morning, 7am, Duncan House)

Truth be told, since I posted this recipe/method, I've "migrated" to no soy and all teriyaki (Kikkoman)....hard to find here and very expensive....but like Weedenb says..."compared to the other stuff you try and hide from the wife" !!!     ;) ;)

hal4uk

I use Kikkoman's (soy sauce) too.
For Teriyaki sauce, I use 1/3 Soy Sauce, 1/3 Pineapple juice, and 1/3 honey.
It's good too.

I know...  Sounds simple, and it is.  Try it.  You'll like it.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

weedenb

Thanks for the info Kummock, pretty much confirmed what I had assumed. Now that I've given away most of the summers catch to visitors the rest is mine and I don't want to mess it up. My SWMBO is very understanding when it comes fish as long as I don't screw it up and the boat is always ready to go. I'm just another squarehead from the burg but I'll check into your breakfast club if I'm up that way. Likewise, stop off at the harbor shack if you ever get marooned off 64 on your way down and need to kill some time. I won't be around but there will be plenty of norsk entertainment.

Robert......