Mine Is On the Way

Started by alienbogey, December 03, 2005, 12:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alienbogey

I've been lurking for quite a while researching smokers after another frustrating session making "salmon jerky" with my Little Chief.  I've made good stuff with it in the past but it's hit and miss.

Anyway, the SS Bradley is on the way - there's a great deal on it right now.

I'm thinking, based on reading posts here, that the Maverick ET73 wireless, dual probe remote thermometer is a great way to go for monitering temps.  Can it also be used in the regular kitchen oven?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Alienbogey,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have used the ET73 in the kitchen and you should have no problems (just have to snake the wires out).

Good luck with the Bradley and let us know how it goes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

JJC

Welcom to the Forum, AB.  Make sure you share your experiences and don't hesitate to ask questions . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

alienbogey

It's come, but because it's for Christmas my wife won't let me open it.  She insists that it be wrapped and put under the tree.  ARRGGGG

manxman

Welcome to the forum alienbogey.

Blimey, if you can get it under the tree you must have a heck of a big one!! (tree that is!![;)])

Joking apart, it will be worth the wait and you're wife will be the one regretting she did not let you loose earlier with you're new toy when she tastes the offerings you produce.[:D][8D]

I have got a Maverick 73 and would thoroughly recommend it although the range is not quite as good as the figure quoted.

I would also suggest a couple of bubba pucks. See:

http://www.chezbubba.com/

Manxman.
Manxman

alienbogey

It won't fit under the tree but it will be fun for the kids to see the huge present.  Of course, they'll be bummed when they see it's for Dad.

I ordered the Maverick 73 thermometer as well based on the posts here - might as well do things right.

I may try making my own bubba pucks, I saw a post on that and can easily make them and may try to make some that will hold wood shavings - I have a home woodshop and would like to use some of the scrap.  I'm doing cherry kithchen cabinets right now and have cherry scrap that should last the smoker for a long time - if I can utilize it.  I also have oak from past projects and alder burning in the fireplace.

Great forum - glad I found it.

nsxbill

The pucks are made from sawdust and essentially a binding agent.  Plain old wood won't cut it. They are pushed forward every 20 minutes and new one takes it's place.  If you plan on using some type of geletin binding agent, and are successful, let us know.  If you didn't realize that that was the makeup of the pucks, this should be an eye opener for you.  I buy the pucks, and don't see a need to deviate from the BS bisquettes.

Keep us up on your progress, and welcome to the forum.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

iceman

Bill is right about the binding agent. I haven't had a chance to play with any home made pucks yet but plan on trying soon. Anybody got any ideas on what to use to hold them together? I was thinking they might be pressed in some sort of tube or mold also. I've got a ton of alder and hickory I can grind up if I can make it work. At forty bucks a box up here I could save a lot of money. I go through a box each weekend when I'm doing salmon. Ouch! Sure appreciate any ideas.[:D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

alienbogey

There is a post on here somewhere about cutting 2" diameter copper tubing to the appropriate depth and capping it with a copper cap to make cheap bubba-type pucks.  I'm thinking I might try putting a cap on top that will be "sieved" full of holes and removable.  Load the hollow copper puck with shavings/dust, put the sieved top cap on and see what happens.

Just an idea.

iceman

Sounds different but doable. Let me know how that turns out.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alienbogey</i>
<br />There is a post on here somewhere about cutting 2" diameter copper tubing to the appropriate depth and capping it with a copper cap to make cheap bubba-type pucks.  I'm thinking I might try putting a cap on top that will be "sieved" full of holes and removable.  Load the hollow copper puck with shavings/dust, put the sieved top cap on and see what happens.

Just an idea.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

TomG

That was my posting for half buck pucks.  Make sure you get the test caps, although you could use regular 2" caps, cut to a height of 5/8" without having to use pipe.  You really don't need perforated tops as long as you keep the level of chips or bisquette crumbs below the cup's rim, they can be stacked in the generator's magazine and seem to feed without problems.

Cheers-Tom-

tsquared

How does it smoke Tom, OK? What I mean is,are your shavings still smoldering when they are pushed into the water bowl?
Tom

whitetailfan

TomG,
Do your pucks work well?  I have been trying to get some made and the best I could find was 2 and an eighth diameter, but I measured pucks this weekend and they appear to be a full 2 and a quarter.

I was concerned about making them smaller than normal, but perhaps this is needless concern.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

TomG

Hi John, the 1/8" was a minor problem when I would stack 5 or more pucks in a row. So every 2 or 3 pucks I'll use either a bisquette or 5/8" slice from a standard 2" copper cap which has an OD of 2 1/4". As far as filling the pucks, I don't have a source for chips, but have pulverized pellets and used either crumbs or pieces of BS bisquettes. The latter burn well in both cold and hot smoking conditions. The pieces of pellet will only work well in 180-210* oven temps.  What I haven't tried yet is priming the generator ramp with three slices(rings)from the standard cap and filling them with pellets which would come in direct contact with the generators heating element.  My original intent was just to make an inexpensive pair of metal blanks which would allow for complete burning of the last two bisquettes.The project has obviously become a work in progress and since the costs of materials, necessary tools( a tube cutter or hacksaw),and fabrication time are minimal, lends itself to relatively easy experimentation.  

Hope that helps-Tom-