question about pork butt

Started by macsfire, September 23, 2011, 09:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsfire

I smoked two pork butts today and they were about the same size.  One of them reached 195 IT in about 12 hr.s the other one would never get above 188 IT.  I had a pid and the 732 maverick checking the IT temp.  I gave up on the 188 IT after 13 and a half hours.  But both turned out real good.  I was just wondering why the one would not go above 188.  In fact it turned out to be the best one.

Quarlow

It depends on the connective tissues in the meat. One could take 12 hrs and another could take 22 hrs. Patience is the virtue with butts.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

grnhs

They are all different and stall differently.

TedEbear

That last 8 lb butt I smoked recently took a mere 12 hours to reach 195*F.  I've had similar size ones take over 18 hours.

Mach1

Quote from: Quarlow on September 23, 2011, 09:43:04 PM
It depends on the connective tissues in the meat. One could take 12 hrs and another could take 22 hrs. Paqtience is the virtue with butts.

What he said, I smoked 4 butts last week all around 8.5 lbs all of them hit a stall around 150* and then 2 of them hit another smaller stall 2 of them took around 13 hrs, 1 took 17 hrs, and the other took 25, and when it hit it's 2nd stall around 178* it actually dropped a couple degrees. it's crazy how different each one can cook, but like Quarlow said patience.

macsfire

These were called pork butt roast and they only weight a little over 3 lbs.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: macsfire on September 23, 2011, 09:56:56 PM
These were called pork butt roast and they only weight a little over 3 lbs.

Pork butt roast are cut form the shoulder of the pork (the butt) to make smaller roasts, or left whole and boneless. They can be bone-in but are generally boneless.

That is a long time for a 3 pound butt. What cabinet temperature were you using? Where was your cabinet probe located? The best location is just under the lowest rack. Where you using the same meat probe to obtain the internal temperature of both butts? Have you checked the accuracy of your probes lately?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

macsfire

The PID was set on 225 and after the first butt was done I put both meat probes in the last butt.  the oven probe was just below the meat on the bottom rack.  One probe read 187 the other read 188.  some more info.  I  had these on the 3rd rack up, for 4 hr.s , because I had 8 chicken breast on the second rack and ten wing's on the bottom rack.  Then when they were done I moved the pork butts to the second rack up from the bottom.

Habanero Smoker

With the chicken in the smoker, was the PID able to keep the cabinet temperature up to 225°F? If you have not installed a second element, it may have taken the smoker a while to get up to 225°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

macsfire

It was able to hold the temp.  I do have the second element installed.  The temp went right on u[ to about 154 and then it took along time to get to 188.  Now that I think about it the actual time was 10 hr.s on the first one and eleven on the one I took out at 188.

Habanero Smoker

This one is a mystery to me. For a 3 pound shoulder roast, it shouldn't take that long, when cooking at 225°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

macsfire

The smoker doesn't seam to have any leak's.  So I don't know either.  My times always seam to take longer I think.  All though the chicken did good on time I thought.  I had trouble with a brisket the other day that seamed to take a long time.