Pucks not advancing(now with Pics)

Started by zueth, September 15, 2011, 11:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I would say about 50% of the time the pucks do not advance and i have to hit the button to get them to advance and sometimes I have to hut the button up to 5 times.  I have followed Habs pictorial on how to clean out the smoke generator, so I don't think that is the issue.  It looks like the shuttle that pushes the pucks is not going back far enough to let the puck drop down.

Anything that i can do to fix this?

classicrockgriller

The puck timer may be out of sequence.

I believe the fix is to push the advance button and while it is advancing

unplug the smoke gen. Then re plug.

But I will take a look for ya.

Well, after looking I Don't think that is it.

Habs will be here shortly. He knows that recipe site like the back of his hand.

I do remember this happening to me once and I had saw dust on the advance tray

and after cleaning that, it worked.

zueth

It has been cleaned of all saw dust....

zueth

it tries every 20 minutes, but sometimes it looks as if the shuttle doesn't go back far enough to let the puck drop down.

Habanero Smoker

What CRG mentioned has helped many, but it doesn't alway. When the it gets out of sequence it will try to advance every 20 minutes, but when the arm gets half way through the cycle it reverses so the drive never opens wide enough to have a bisquette drop down. Here is a direct link: Briquette Advancing Problem.
But generally if that is the problem the bisquettes will feed without problem when you push the advance button.

Other causes can be that something is blocking the arm, or the drive and drive guide (the ramp the bisquettes are pushed on). When you reassemble the generator make sure there are not wires in the way of the arm movement. Check the tracks of the drive guide and make sure it is clear of debris. Also make sure the feeder tube is straight and seated correctly.

If it is making a clicking noise, that may mean the is partially stripped.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Thanks Habs.

That what my problem was, just couldn't remember.

The feed tube was cocked just a bit and when the advance

tray went back the feed tube stopped it. I took my feed tube

out and everything worked great and was carefull when I put

it back in the slot.

Fernslinger

I was having the exact same problem. I called Customer service and they sent out a brand new motor that advances the pucks. I replaced it and it works perfect now. Call Bradley and get it replaced if it is under warranty.

zueth

I took apart the smoke generator and cleaned it and that did not help.  Pucks were still not advancing even when i pressed the advance button.  So, I took apart the generator again and did some investigating.  I could see that when the motor went counter clockwise it was getting stuck sometimes and others times it would slow down but still complete. But, when going clockwise this did not happen.  So I took apart the housing that goes over the shuttle and I can see where the shuttle is rubbing on the housing and causign the friction that is causing my problem.

Here is a picture of the housing

Here is a picture of the shuttle

Now what do I do to fix the problem?

With the housing removed it works fine, but obviously will not work without it.

OU812

Have you tried to scrape it off with a puddy knife?

zueth

That is not build up on those that is the paint worn off from the two pieces scrapping against each other.

Habanero Smoker

I would look further to see why it is scraping against the side rail. Something may be bent, or there could be blockage forcing it against the rail.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 22, 2011, 01:38:50 PM
I would look further to see why it is scraping against the side rail. Something may be bent, or there could be blockage forcing it against the rail.

There definitely is no blockage, not sure what could be bent.  What is interesting is it only happens when the arm goes in a counter-clockwise pattern.  When it is clockwise it does not happen.

zueth

Is the shuttle suppose to be able to swing when the housing is not on it? is the housing the only thing that keeps it straight?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Zueth

With those wear marks on the side of the bisquette shuttle some thing is out of alignment or bent.

Try these couple of suggestions and see if they help.

Put the housing back on, then loosen off the screws that mount the motor mounting bracket to the black plate do not remove them just loosen them
then push the wood advance button a few time this will let the motor and push plate find its own center line.

If that does not help remove the two screws on the left side of the housing and try it again
I have attached a picture that shows which screws to remove.

Brian.

zueth

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on September 22, 2011, 03:48:55 PM
Hi Zueth

With those wear marks on the side of the bisquette shuttle some thing is out of alignment or bent.

Try these couple of suggestions and see if they help.

Put the housing back on, then loosen off the screws that mount the motor mounting bracket to the black plate do not remove them just loosen them
then push the wood advance button a few time this will let the motor and push plate find its own center line.

If that does not help remove the two screws on the left side of the housing and try it again
I have attached a picture that shows which screws to remove.

Brian.

I will give that a try, thanks Brian.