Whole Turkey Questions

Started by zueth, September 15, 2011, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Quote from: OU812 on October 04, 2011, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: zueth on October 04, 2011, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 03, 2011, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: zueth on October 03, 2011, 02:22:36 PM
I had a thought on this, has anybody cold smoked the turkey for 3-4 hours the day before, then wrapped and put in the fridge.  Then the next day cook in SRG?  If so how did it turn out?

I wouldnt.

You want the bird to get above the danger point as fast as you can, the danger point is from 40 to 140 F

When your done with the smoke youll be right about the 140 mark and it needs to finish.

Also the nasties grow faster on poultry than other meats.

Ok, that makes sense, but I could cold smoke, then after that put directly into SRG?

Cold smoking poultry aint a good idea in my book.

I would smoke at 220F for 2 hr then drop in the SRG.

If you put your bird in the SRG basket before you smoke it all you have to do after the smoke is pull the basket outta the smoker and drop it in the SRG

Last bird I did took right about 3 hr start to finish doin it this way.
Ok, makes sense, thanks for the info.

Smoking Alligator

Is turkey better when cooked low and slow or does it dry out?  I am thinking of doing beer can turkey for thanksgiving but didn't know if it would be better for it to be done low and slow in the bradley or simply grilling it at 350 with some wood chips in my charcoal bbq.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

zueth

You can do it all in the Bradley, but I would recommend for the last hour to turn up the heat as high as it will go to get the crisp skin.

crapshooter

Stupid question here from a newbie...what's a SRG?

GusRobin

charbroil's Big Easy Smoker. roaster, grill
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

zueth

Going to do a Turkey this weekend.  Have a couple of additional questions.  I have heard people say that apply smoke for 2-4 hours.  What does everybody feel is the best with Turkey?

When you put the bird in the SRG basket do you put the breast down with the legs up, like you would when cooking in peanut oil?

I assuming the 165 as a IT is measured from the breast.

GusRobin

I am boring in that I use hickory for just about everything
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

hal4uk

Quote from: GusRobin on October 26, 2011, 04:16:21 PM
I am boring in that I use hickory for just about everything
I just reckon God likes you
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

zueth

Quote from: zueth on October 26, 2011, 03:40:17 PM
Going to do a Turkey this weekend.  Have a couple of additional questions.  I have heard people say that apply smoke for 2-4 hours.  What does everybody feel is the best with Turkey?

When you put the bird in the SRG basket do you put the breast down with the legs up, like you would when cooking in peanut oil?

Thoughts?

squirtthecat

Quote from: zueth on October 28, 2011, 10:52:35 AM

Thoughts?

Yep!   I actually stop at 160 and tent and let rest for a bit..   It'll cruise up to near 165°.

OU812

Thoughts?

3 hr of Apple works for me.

I like to put the turkey one a beer can holder, with out the beer, then in the SRG basket and put the basket in the in the smoker.

After the smoke transfer the basket to the hot SRG and like Squirt stated pull outta the heat when the IT of the breast hits 160 F

Tent for about 20 min before digging in.

zueth

When you do the beer can holder do put it legs down then?

zueth

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 28, 2011, 10:54:47 AM

Thoughts?

Yep!   I actually stop at 160 and tent and let rest for a bit..   It'll cruise up to near 165°.
Thanks

OU812

mhiykmeel63

After smoking it, could I transfer it over to the oven like I do with my butts? If so what would be the time & temp?