ACK!!!! FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRE!

Started by EZ Smoker, September 15, 2011, 08:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

I have a question:  Is the V-tray important?

It got knocked into the wrong position, just a little off from where it's supposed to go.  I didn't really worry about it.  Then the fat dripping off my brisket seemed to find its way to the heating element, and Good Lord that was a big fire.  My brisket wasn't ready yet either... so I took it out and finished it in foil in the oven.  It turned out pretty well, though not quite as well as I'm used to.  Some parts of it were charred.  But that's the good news.

The bad news is... The fire burned up the seal on the OBS door.  Now it won't seal when I close it.    What should I do about that?   Replace the seal?  Replace the door?  Smoke without a seal?   And how would I go about getting it taken care of?  Whom would I contact exactly? 

Thanks.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Sorry EZ... Heck I dunno... 
Just had to pull that one outta the attic...
Help will be along...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

I think you answered your on question about the importance of the V-tray.

How long did it burn?

Quarlow

EZ the v-tray is very important. It channels all the fat into the drip bowl. If you put too large of a piece of meat on the rack and it runs down the back you are in trouble. You are far batter off to have the meat against the front than the back.
You can get a new seal from Bradley or from Begolf. I don't know the website but someone will fill in the blank for you. Sorry to hear this but hope your meat turned out after all.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

EZ Smoker

I think a small fire was burning for several minutes before we realized it.  But when we opened the door to check it out, and all that oxygen rushed in, WHOOOOSH!!!  Flames were everywhere!!   Then it took us a minute to figure out how to put it out.   

How should we put it out by the way... just for the next time I decide the V-tray's not important? 

We closed the door, filled a pot with water, and dumped said water down the vent, all over the meat and everything.  It was kind of a desperate act, but it worked, and the brisket was still really good.  We were about 18 or 19 hours in at the time, so we just foiled the meat and finished in the oven, not wanting to run the smoker with all that water in it. 

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

muebe

You should keep a fire extinguisher near your Bradley in case of this. I have one in the garage, kitchen and out back just in case.

AND NEVER USE WATER ON A GREASE FIRE!!!!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

classicrockgriller

No air No Fire, but I probably would have done what you did.

GET THE FIRE OUT!

Does the smoker work now?

The water may have cause the element to blow.

Press on the sides and listen to hear if you hear a lot of crunchin in there.

Might give Brian a call and see if you can get a dented/returned box.

Might be cheaper. There are others who have had fires and just fix what

is broke and keep going.

Quarlow

Does anyone know where you can get those CO2 canisters? They are great for smothering this type of fire in a enclosed space.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

Sorry this happened!

You are not going to be able to retain heat with out a proper seal. If the door or the sidewalls inside the smoker are not warped, you should be alright by replacing the door seal. I would also check the insulation of the wiring, and remove the back panel to see if there is any damage to the insulation.

This is a good time to remind people; even if you suspect there is a fire inside the smoker do not open the door. Also pouring water down the vent is also dangerous; water does not put out a grease fire. With the door seal already damaged that door could have come open, and the water could have carried the fire out of the cabinet onto your deck.

I understand in an emergency it is difficult to think of what to do. The following link may be of help to others who find themselves in this situation.
[http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=759#post759]Bradley Fire Hazard - What To Do.[/url]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

sorry about the fire, clean the smoker, call bradley for a new gasket

squirtthecat

Get yourself a White fire extinguisher.  They are safe for kitchen use.  (mostly full of CO2 and something like baking soda)   The red ones will do the trick, but the chemicals will ruin your smoker.

ghost9mm

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 16, 2011, 06:35:37 AM

Get yourself a White fire extinguisher.  They are safe for kitchen use.  (mostly full of CO2 and something like baking soda)   The red ones will do the trick, but the chemicals will ruin your smoker.

X2 yes Sir !!! I keep one right by my grill and smokers...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Quarlow

What is in those air duster cans? Is that just Co2?

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on September 16, 2011, 08:10:16 AM
What is in those air duster cans? Is that just Co2?

I just checked at a coworkers desk (he has a couple cans of the stuff) and they contain Freon, other Inert gasses and a 'bitterant' to deter inhalant abuse.   Said not to use near fire or flame.