Adding a 500w Element to OBS or 900w

Started by cajunboudreaux, September 16, 2011, 11:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

Just Curious??? When you adding a second element. Do you just ponytail the existing wires by just adding a few inches of wire and connections and use the existing slide control? Does anyone have pics?
Or when adding a 900w element do you just use the existing connections? Do you have to do a fan?
Laissez les bon temps rouler

muebe

I have the 900w element mod. I used the existing wires and just extended their length. For the first 30 hours of use I did not have a convection fan and did not have any issues. I have a PID and do not know how well it will work with a DBS.

And my convection fan mod...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on September 16, 2011, 11:07:14 AM
Just Curious??? When you adding a second element. Do you just ponytail the existing wires by just adding a few inches of wire and connections and use the existing slide control? Does anyone have pics?
Or when adding a 900w element do you just use the existing connections? Do you have to do a fan?

One of the smokers I have is dual-ed with a pigtail from one element to the other.

If that is a way you want to go, PM me and I'll send you the info.

BUT!!!!!!!! Any time you add another element or go with a 900 watt element

IT IS recommended or necessary that you control the smoker with a PID!

cajunboudreaux

Wow! Thanks, That looks to cool. I said ponytail and meant pigtail. lol. ooops

Habanero Smoker

In my area they call it "Daisy chaining". If you have the OBS I don't feel it is a good idea because the full load is going through the temperature control. Just a reminder; you shouldn't do this mod without a third party temperature control device like a PID, or one of the BBQ Guru controller with a Raptor.

Here are step by step instructions on the recipe site for the dual element:
Additional Element for DBS
Additional Element for OBS with Optional Switch

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HookedOnMyBradley

I did the 900W mod and love it.  I did rewire the whole cabinet with 14GA high temp wire mostly for fun.  :)  I also used 2 1/2 inch bolts instead of 1 1/2 inch bolts so that the element wouldn't sit directly on the back wall.  I guess I was hoping that if some drippings happened to roll down the back wall that this might help prevent a fire.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that left the original heat reflector in with the 900W mod.  Thanks muebe!

TedEbear

Yes and no.  I have the dual element mod on my OBS.  Just run a short 3-4 inch length of high temp wire from each end of the first element to each end of the second element.

Do not use the slide temp control for the new 1000W bank of heating elements.  An Auberins PID controller that you can install in the smoke generator box is less than $45 plus a few additional parts (K-type TC, SSR, wire, nuts and bolts).

No fan needed.

cajunboudreaux

Cool Thanks, I believe that is what i want to do.

TonyL222

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 16, 2011, 01:21:54 PM
If you have the OBS I don't feel it is a good idea because the full load is going through the temperature control. Just a reminder; you shouldn't do this mod without a third party temperature control device like a PID, or one of the BBQ Guru controller with a Raptor.

That one is easy to address (got the idea from you).  Just remove the faceplate, remove the spade connectors from both sides of the slider and also the light. Cut off the spade connectors, strip, and twist all 3 wires together.  I fastend with a ceramic wire nut.  As stated, you MUST have a PID or other temperature controller after this mod.

cajunboudreaux

Are you doing this just to un-hook the slider??

TonyL222

Yes - to take the slider out of the loop.

RFT

900 Watt finned or 2 500Watt Elements???   Undecided as of yet for me.   One thing for sure is I probably won't be adding a fan due to losing rack space.  Anyone do the fan mod and not lose any rack space. Pics? 
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

muebe

Quote from: RFT on September 24, 2011, 07:09:26 PM
900 Watt finned or 2 500Watt Elements???   Undecided as of yet for me.   One thing for sure is I probably won't be adding a fan due to losing rack space.  Anyone do the fan mod and not lose any rack space. Pics?

It is not shown in that picture but I still have 4 usable racks. I relocated the two rails to a different spot. I personally have never used the top rack rail before doing this mod so I did not mind the relocation. The fan gives me very even cabinet temps(no rotating) and also turned my OBS into a full dehydrator.

There are others with much smaller fans that did not lose any rack space...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

TedEbear

Quote from: TonyL222 on September 20, 2011, 10:20:01 PM
Yes - to take the slider out of the loop.

Here's what I did to bypass the slider control when I added a PID controller in the SG box.  The two loose wires go to the little red LED next to the slider.  Although that light wasn't needed to make it work it wasn't doing anything else and I sometimes like to watch and see how the PID controller cycles the power on and off to maintain the temp.