Smoked Steelhead for Main Entree??

Started by LindaCC, September 17, 2011, 07:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaCC

Help.....I want to smoke a steelhead for our main entree not the kind we would use as an appetizer or snack. It's a good sized fillet.
How would I do that differently from the recipes I see most here?
Thanks.... your always to the rescue

pikeman_95

Linda

You could go with Kummoks recipe which is one of my favorites. It is a little more like a snack to us unless you make each guest a large Cesar salad and flake the finished product on top then it is to die for. The second choice is to sprinkle McCormick lemon pepper seasoning on the fish and smoke it that way. Go light on the thin parts of the fish and heavier on the thick meat. You do not need to brine the fish the salt is in the lemon pepper. Run the smoker hot enough to cook the fish and give it the smoky flavor. Here is a picture of the

this is what the Kummoks fish looks like when it is done.

smoker pete

I used Kummoks recipe for Smoked Steelhead that I bought at Costco.  You can't go wrong with that recipe for Salmon, Steelhead, and probably other fishes ... Here's a shot of Smoked Steelhead being used as an entree for a light Summer dinner.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

LindaCC

Thanks pikeman_95... and Smoker pete
I think your right. That's exactly what I'll do.

Smoker pete.... How long did you smoke this for???? It does look like it will work for an entree.

Smokeville

Hi Linda!

Steelhead is (usually) thick enough that you can treat it like salmon in brine times and smoke times. It works great as a dinner party entree. If you want to be the Queen of foodland, serve it hot right out of the smoker. Just make sure you have a lot of it because it will be inhaled.

With all racks full, I usually go....

1.5hrs at 120,
1.5hrs at 140,
3hrs at 170 to finish.

When it looks like the photos others have posted, it's done.

Rich

zueth

If you just want to cook the fish with smoke flavor.  Cook/smoke at 220 until IT of 130, normally take between 30-60 minutes depending on your fillets.  No need to brine, just prepare like if you were going to grill it.  It turns out great, I do it all the time.

LindaCC

Update...
Thanks every one. I have been smoking steelhead many times now... I have brined it for 2 to 3 hrs. Then Smoke it for 1 hour with Alder. HOME RUN!!!!
Had to load it up last time because all the kids want to take one home after dinner. It's just as good cold the next few days.

Sorry, tried to upload smaller images. Resized in Photobucket to the very smallest option, but it will not show any smaller here.