A sweet twist to Kummock's Salmon

Started by Crazy Canuck, December 04, 2005, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Canuck

I prepared Salmon exactly to Kummock,s recipe. Put it in the smoker for first two hours, I then heated up 6 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon crushed garlic cloves.  I applied this with barbeque brush every half hour till Salmon was done.  It formed a hard sweet crust over the salmon, I did this to approx 1/2 of a king salmon. I was surprised [:0] at the reaction and have freinds placing orders for more.[;)][;)]

Yeah right[}:)][}:)]

Addicted to Smokin'
DanR
Fort St.John, BC

JJC

Sounds like an interesting variation, Dan.  How long did it take the salmon to finish cooking--did opening the door frequently for brushing really extend the time?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

iceman

Sounds pretty good Crazy. Send me some pictures and instructions when you can. I'd like to try that one for sure.E-mail to <font color="blue">([email protected]). </font id="blue">Thanks[8D]

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">did opening the door frequently for brushing really extend the time?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Opening the door did extend the amount of time the fish was in the smoker but was well worth the wait.  I started adding the honey after increasing the temperature the first time.[;)]

Addicted to Smokin'
DanR
Fort St.John, BC

Kummok

I love your modification Dan!! Sounds [:p][:p][:p]y!  I'll be giving it a try. I LOVE this forum!

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

All that basting sounds like a lot of extra work. The easiest way to add a sweet twist to Kummok's salmon is let his wife make it.[;)][:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

That's an event that I'll most likely NEVER see....she loves to catch 'em, club 'em (THAT part has always concerned me[:0]), and loves to eat 'em. But the cleaning, cooking, and smoking is where she draws the line, ("Can't stand the smell"). I've asked her for a 28 year old Swedish fish-chick to help with the cooking and smoking but her response still gives me visions of the salmon clubbing part[:0][:0]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

iceman

To bad Kummok. Ann helps me with the cleanup most of the time when the smoking is done. She handles a mean looking filet knife too. This season she even picked pin bones and vacum sealed for me. Oh did I mention they call me LUCKY DOG? Ha! Just kidding. I think we all have the same problem. They love the catching and eating part but forget the rest! Do you ever get the "how much longer? I'm hungry" thing? I no sooner get the stuff in the smoker and it's "what time shall I tell my friends to show up for dinner?". Geez Louweez. Gotta love it though.[^]

oguard

My wife is a great help with the pin bones (the job I hate)She is also my toughest critic (some times makes me angry but is always a good thing)All smokers need understanding partners beside them[:D][:D]

Mike
PS I like to bast my smoked salmon with a mixture of real maple syrup and dark rum(one drink for the cook)

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've asked her for a 28 year old Swedish fish-chick to help with the cooking and smoking but her response still gives me visions of the salmon clubbing part
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I've asked for one of those for xmas and got a similar response![8D] She says, you got repowered this off season, that's all your going to get!!