ALL PORK MENONITE

Started by marauder11, September 21, 2011, 07:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder11

Anyone ever make all pork menonite or farmers sausage. Never made anything except breakfast sausage all pork. How did it turn out .

Piker

I am a hunter and I make a lot of sausage out of wild meat mixed with pork or beef at a ratio 0f 3 to 1. It was edible but not great. So I found myself with 4 lbs. of pork and 1 lb. of venison and made a sausage [polish] that was great. So ever since I use a ratio of 3 pork to 1 venison. All my friends and hunting buddies think now it great so Thats what I am going to continue to do. Piker

OU812

Most store bought sausages are 100% pork.

Go for it you will like it,,,,,,,,,,,just grind up a pork butt fat and all.

Make sure you take out the gland first.

The gland is this white chunk just in from the back side, youll see it wile your cuttin up the butt to fit in the grinder.

njxbow

i like to mix 30% ground bacon to 70 % ground venison. this ratio seems to give me the best flavor and texture for all venison sausages. the only thing you have to remember is if you are smoking is to adjust the cure to compensate for the bacon which is already cured. there is no bacon flavor added to the sausages, only moisture and texture. i use this blend for all smoked venison sausages and most fresh. buy the "no name" fattiest bacon you can find which is usually the cheapest too.

marauder11

If the bacon was cured then use  in sausage to be smoked i would think you should count it as needing cure. would you not.

njxbow

QuoteIf the bacon was cured then use  in sausage to be smoked i would think you should count it as needing cure.                     

i usually mix up up 10 pound batches of smoked venison sausages. i use 122.5 grains of cure #1 for  7lbs of venison. i mix all ingredients for the 10 lb batch into the 7 lbs of ground venison. i let it sit in the refrigererator for a few hours or overnight then i mix in the ground bacon then stuff. if you dont have a grain scale you can use 7.5 lbs of venison mixed with 2.5 pounds of ground bacon in which case you would then use 1 1/2 teapoons of cure #1. once a meat has been cured it does not have to be cured again. only add curing salt to raw meat.