chicken rub recipe

Started by chironomidaddict, September 19, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chironomidaddict

Looking for some help. I would like to smoke some chicken breasts this coming week,does anybody have a favorite rub recipe that has a nice flavor but not to hot ? Looked on the web but could not find to much. Will have to purchase the spices from the local grocery store as we do not have a great selection of specialty stores in my area for spices etc...  Thanks for any input yiu may have.

squirtthecat

You need some Jan's Rub from the recipe site.

It will make a brick taste good...

SiFumar

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Quote from: chironomidaddict on September 19, 2011, 06:59:14 PM
Looking for some help. I would like to smoke some chicken breasts this coming week,does anybody have a favorite rub recipe that has a nice flavor but not to hot ? Looked on the web but could not find to much. Will have to purchase the spices from the local grocery store as we do not have a great selection of specialty stores in my area for spices etc...  Thanks for any input yiu may have.

Jan's Dry Rub
Ingredients:
1 cup + 4 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup Lawry's seasoned salt
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 cup onion salt
1/2 cup paprika
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp lemon pepper
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp dry ground sage
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dry ground thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Store in a cool area away from light in air tight jar or sealable plastic bag.
Hope you enjoy.
KyNola

Comment by Habanero Smoker: I applied this rub to ribs, and everyone enjoyed them. For best results give the ribs a liberal application of the rub. If you like more heat increase the cayenne pepper.

Habanero Smoker

Here are the direct links to both Jan's Rub:
Jan's Rub

Jan's Spicy Rub

This rub is also good:
Basic Poultry Rub

Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chironomidaddict

Thank-you to everyone for your input, i will give Jans rub a go . Looking forward to it.

ghost9mm

Oh!!! and don't forget to try the brick.....yummm.. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

smoker pete

Ditto ... x³ !!! Jan's Dry Rub  ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

squirtthecat

Yeah, it makes a lot doesn't it?

Next batch, I'm tripling and mixing in my Reveo.

KyNola

Chiro, my wife is the Jan's of Jan's Dry Rub.  We developed the recipe specifically for poultry and named it after her because she did more work on it than me.  It has become fairly popular on the forum.

Here's a neat part of it.  It's not necessary to apply the rub to the chicken hours before you are going to cook it.  You can apply it and go straight to the smoker/grill with it.  Don't ask me why but I have found that applying it and then going directly to the smoker seems to sort of "lock in" the moistness of the poultry.  Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, if you choose to try it Jan will be honored as she still can't believe so many people are using it.  Also, if you use it, let me know what you thought either way, good or bad.

chironomidaddict

So i did the chicken with the Jans rub, absolutely fantastic. Sorry but no pics were taken, to busy enjoying the aromas and then devouring the meal.

Scotty Dog

I have a full chicken in the fridge for a 12 hour layover with Jan's Rub under and over the skin.  Do I rinse the rub off the bird prior to smoking or leave it all on?

KyNola

Scotty Dog,
DON'T rinse off the rub!

viper125

Leave it on. In fact I usually put some fresh on it too! We love Jans rub!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.