First Chicken Today

Started by JZ, November 01, 2011, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Did my first whole bird on the new DBS today. Brined for 12 hrs then smoked at 210 for 3 hrs with alder and apple wood. After the 3 hours was up the IT was at 155. Took it to the Bubba to try and get the skin crisp but within 1/2 and hr the IT was 175 so I quit and did the FTC thing.

These are a bunch of firsts for me --- never brined a bird before, never smoked a whole one, never used an IT thermometer and first time whit new DBS.

I opened the door after 3 hours and that bird was looking awesome. Just the right colour.

After FTC for 2 hrs the IT was 145 and we opened it for eats. The meat was juicy and the smokey flavour was awesome. Only negative was that the skin was chewy, not crisp.

Maybe next time I will smoke at a lower temp so that I can get more time on the Bubba to try and crisp up the skin. But I am sure as H-ll doing this again.

By the way I love the DBS - I have an OBS and was having temp control issues but with the DBS it is a huge improvement. No temp issues -- it recovers pretty quickly and I really like the set it and forget it aspect. Don't have to stand by checking the temp and fiddling with the slider. Might just use the OBS for cold smokes.

hal4uk

Hi, JZ..

Sounds like you figured out a better plan for next time!

After you get better results, don't FTC chicken.
It's easy enough to time chicken for guests, and unlike butts, briskets, or such, FTC doesn't help chicken (skin, at least).
If you plan to pull the chicken meat, that's different... 
Otherwise, I'd omit the FTC.

Basically, you don't want to work hard to get a crispy skin and then steam it back to mush.   ;)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

squirtthecat

Good start!

At 160° in the breast, that bird is done and ready to eat after a short (uncovered) rest.
Next time, you could try pulling it at 140°, then blasting it in the Bubba for 15-20 minutes or so to get the skin crisp.

I FTC chicken, but only because I discard the skin and pull/shred the meat.

JZ

Thanks guys --- no FTC next time and I will pull it a little earlier to throw on the Bubba.

Might try hickory next time too --- maybe 2 pucks. Damn that bird was tasty.

Just the 2 of us at home now so that bird will last us for a few days. It was 8 pounds dressed. Got it from our neighbour who has a small farm operation set up. We give her halibut and salmon from our fishing trip and she shows her gratitude by giving us some of her chickens.

hal4uk

Whhhhuuu... W... well...
I'll trade you lots of chickens for some fresh halibut!!!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Fresh halibut??

We'll bring the chickens, and some pigs, and the Meat Monster!

JZ

Sorry guys, the Hali's not fresh --- been frozen since end of July. Still good though.

You can come and get some anytime your in the area.

Still trying to find a good use for the stuff. I love deep fried hali but I am supposed to stay away from fat foods these days as my cholesterol is high. I love it in fish tacos and that is still ok since I pan fry the fish in Olive oil. I read somewhere else that smoked Hali Kummok still is really good and I think I will give it a try. The salmon done that way is awesome.