Hatchery Trout...

Started by bpnclark, September 21, 2011, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpnclark

The kids caught some huge trout out of a hatchery in July. When I was cleaning them, the hatchery food in their bellies made me not want to eat them, so I decided I'm going to smoke them!   

They are 5-7 lb rainbows. I cut the heads and tails off them (which I have never done before) and sealed them and froze them. I'm now ready to try them with Boutch's recipe.   

One question – Should I half them, quarter them or leave them whole?

grnhs

I found that boning them first gives the best end product, then cut them in the size chunks you want. Make sure to get the pin bones too.
Hope this helps

Quarlow

I always do filets whole and yes get those pin bones out. You will be glad you did later when you go to eat it. Kummock likes to cut his filets into about 2 inch wide strips. I am going to try that next time.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

If you are using  Boutch's recipe (good choice); I generally will brine whole fillets with the skin still attached. Since your fillets are small, compared to the type of trout Boutch brines, you will need to cut your brining time down. Use the 5 - 7 seven hours mentioned in the recipe, or if they are really thin use 4 hours.

Definitely remove the pin bones.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bpnclark

Thanks guys. I'm taking them out of the freezer now. I'll take some pics from start to finish and see how everything turns out. This is my first time time trying to smoke fish.

Quarlow

Don't over cook them. We like ours on the dry side but I have found I am liking it a bit moister. Rotate those racks about every half hour for those trout.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

bpnclark

Thanks for the tip. Halfway through the brine now.

It ended up being a little over 6 lbs total. Due to time, I think I'm going to brine them for 5-6 hours and start the smoke.

I think I'll be finished around midnight...... good thing I got a lot of Hennessy left......

bpnclark

I guess the next time I do this, I'm going to bebone before I brine. The meat was a little too soft to work with and I lost a lot. Its pretty ugly but hopefully it will come out nice!

I got a little better with fish #4.....

SiFumar

Ugly is still gunna taste good!  We all learn by doing.

bpnclark

Turned out great! You can really taste the cognac in the fish!!!

SiFumar

Great! Looks good! See ugly tastes good!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Looks good.

Did you see the link to the Smoke Trout Spread.

I'm surprise that the trout didn't firm up during the brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

devo

Not bad I guess but do you own a fillet knife? Tell me you didn't butcher those poor fish with that meat cleaver.  :'( :'( :'(

bpnclark

No filet knife needed on these guys. The meat was so soft after the brine, I did it with my fingers. I've skinned/cleaned a lot animals on sides of mountains, cliffs, dirt, cactus and in 80-100 degree temps, and I cant believe I messed up so bad on a little fish!

I'm now packing for a deer hunt in the CA Serrias. I have 3 filets vacuumed sealed. Should I freeze them or just leave them in the freg for the trip (I'm leaving on Wed and plan on eating them on Fri-Sat). They'll be in a ice chest and my dad is meeting us on Friday...

Thanks for the help!

Habanero Smoker

The end product looks great.

Because they are brined, smoked, and vacuum sealed they will have a longer refrigerator self life. As long as you keep them refrigerate or in a cooler you are alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.