Smoked Herring/kippers

Started by Mike I, December 06, 2005, 07:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike I

I am new to the forum.  Just got a smoker. Love it. did some salmon.

Recently got some herring.  was wandering if anyone has a kipper recipies or advice,, on brine and smoking tecniques.  is it hot or cold, time etc.

info would be app

mike

thostorey

This will get you started then Google for some more info.

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/fishtales/preparation/

Tom in Qualicum Beach

manxman

Hi Mike I, welcome to the forum.

I have used the first reference for both hot smoked mackerel and hot smoked herring. The second reference gives a lot of good information about herring including smoking.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2014&SearchTerms=smoker,mackerel

TORRY ADVISORY NOTE No. 57 The Herring
Provides general notes on herring, including common, scientific and foreign ...
www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5933e/x5933e00.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

TORRY ADVISORY NOTE No. 48 KippersTORRY ADVISORY NOTE No. 48.
www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5925E/x5925e00.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Must admit I have had more success hot smoking than I have cold smoking (kippering) to date, results of the former were excellent whilst the latter were rather average. I have tended to stick more with hot smoking for the timebeing for herring and mackerel.

Hope this helps,[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

efishingbooks

Here's one for you, how come smoked hearing are sometimes called "Blind Robins"?

Seriously, I just got some at the local fish shop and was wondering.

Dave

manxman

Quotehow come smoked hearing are sometimes called "Blind Robins"?

Over the years we have had a massive herring industry around the shores of the island where a i live, sadly it is largely fished out now. We still catch (small) ones on rod and line occasionally but most herring used in the local kipper industry are now imported from Norway or Iceland.

However I have never heard the term "Blind Robins" on this side of the pond, I can only imagine it is a specific way they are prepared ? ???
Manxman