Is curing/brining required for hot smoked salmon

Started by lovallee, September 26, 2011, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovallee

Hello,

I am new to smoking as I got my first smoker (orginal Bradley) two days ago.

I intended to simply add some spices and a bit a salt before hot smoking a salmon as I would have done for a BBQ'd salmon.

Now I see all that information about curing/brining... I understand that the basic recommended curing/brining with a 15% salt solution is used to preserve meet.

If I am to hot smoke salmon which will then be frozen for later use, do I really need such a salty curing/brining process?

Thanks.

Louis

Habanero Smoker

You can use almost any fish recipe that can be grill or roasted in the Bradley. Just use a temperature of around 225°F or higher; though for white fish you need to be careful not to over cook to the point it will become dry. The reason I suggest 225°F or higher is that some fish become mushy when cooked at too low of a temperature. Having said that, cooking in the Bradley will not give you the same texture as when you grill, or roast.

These days, with refrigeration you don't need to brine to preserve (unless that is what you intend to do). Most brining can be done with less salt, and used to add flavor and retain moisture; since the end product will be eaten immediately, or refrigerated for later use, or frozen.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)