Are 2x2 and 4x1 the same?

Started by Toker, September 26, 2011, 12:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi, i was wondering this, if you would have the occasion of smoking with 2 smoke generators at the same time (cold smoke setup)  for a short period of time what would the result be? I mean, is 4h with 1 smoke generator the same than 2h with 2 smoke generators?

Of course i would have to check the temp inside the smoker but I would like to try. I could try with a Y connector.

Anyway, my question was just about the smoke time and X2 smoke generators.

THX

devo

I would guess it depends on how much smoke the meat can absorb at one time. You would in deed be doubling the amount of smoke. This is a good question and I'm sure there is a scientific answer for it but it'd over my head.

Ka Honu

I'm guessing that devo is correct.  I'm also guessing that, if you stay in the temp range at which smoke is absorbed, 4 x 1 would allow more absorption than 2 x 2. 

I have no data to back any of this this up - it just seems right.

classicrockgriller

The thing with the Bradley smoke gen is that when it kicks a puck off and starts

a new puck to smoking is that there is a delay in the smoke getting started. I

don't know the answer but, if you decide to try and experiment (and that is a

fun thing sometimes) start the pucks on the other smoke gen 10 minutes apart

so that there is always smoke rolling. Just a thought.

Mr Walleye

This is interesting...

I know Kirby (Pikeman_95) uses a thicker, more dense smoke for a shorter period of time in his big smoker with very good results.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

Just a flip off the cuff, but can you fill a full box twice. Once it is full is it not full. you could only put so much smoke in before it starts to back up threw the SG's and somewhat smothers the coals. Of course it won't go out cause the burner keeps burning. And once you fill to capacity you will only be able to put in what will come out the vent. Seems as though you would just be wasting smoke. But what does it hurt to try. There has been a couple of things learned through experimentation over the years.  ;) :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

It'd depend on the adsorption rate of the smoke and the subsequent diffusion rate.  You'd need to do the experiment.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Toker

Yeah, i will experiment when i have all the required pieces. Still waiting for one to arrive.

THX Sonny for the 10 minutes delay between both smoke generator. I did not think about this tip.

Quarlow, I'M not worry about the over smoke in my tower cause i have a 100 cfm fan outside the tower that takes off the smoke outside. But i will sure check the smoke to make sure it does not back off inside the smoke generator with vent full open.

ArnieM

Well, here's an analogy that probably makes absolutely no sense.

Suppose you want to cure a hunk of meat and you want it ready in half of the normal time.  Will using twice the cure make it cure twice as fast?  I don't think so (and all that cure is no good for you).  I'd venture a guess that it might be the same with smoke.

And with that, it's off to bed.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Again and I know you probably know this ........

Meat quits absorbing smoke when the temp of the outside part of the meat

reaches 143*.

Habs will probably see this and give you a better clarification.

Habanero Smoker

This is an interesting conversation, but I don't know either, but I would have to say the heavier the smoke, the stronger the smoke flavor. As Mike pointed out, and what I have read in some older smokehouse recipes, their recipes often call for a heavy smoke, or light smoke or a smudge etc, during the smoking period.

I just want to add, besides smoke absorption,  even when the surface of the meat gets above the 140° - 143° temperature the smoke will continue to adhere to a surface, and as the surface of the me gets hotter the lower the rate it will adhere.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

I'm with Habs.  I have a cast aluminum pot that I have my mop in.  I put it inside the smoker (a woodburner) for at least the first part of a smoke.  The outside of that thing is a beautiful dark now.  What did that - the smoke.  I seriously doubt that the aluminum absorbed any smoke - it layered on.  Same as the sides of Bradley chamber.  Or put a glass in a smoker - eventually it gets a nice and smokey color - and we all know that glass doesn't absorb much of anything.  I would think a longer smoke could/would layer on more smoke. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"