Pork and Shrimp Sausage

Started by Tenpoint5, September 27, 2011, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I was in the Mad Scientist mode this morning, instead of cutting my grass. I have been Jonesing for some more of that Pork and Craw-fish sausage that CRG brought up to the Smoke Out. Since Sonny isn't making any trips up this way anytime soon. I needed to come up with a substitution the fix me up. The sausage I came up with is a combination of a recipe I found and the substitutions I had to make cause I either didn't have the ingredient or didn't want to put it in there. Here is what I came up with. It is a one pound batch so you can try it and if you like it then you can make bigger batches.

Pork and Shrimp Sausage

1 teaspoon       Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon       Fine Sea Salt
2 teaspoon       Dehydrated Minced Onion
3/4 teaspoon    Black Pepper
3/4 teaspoon    Granulated Garlic
1/4 teaspoon    Allspice
1/2 teaspoon    Thyme
3 Tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon Water

15 - 51/60 Shrimp diced
1 pound Fresh Ground Pork

Combine all of the above in the water. Mix into the pork and stuff into Hog Casings or make into patties.

That is the recipe here is the How it Happened and what it looks like Pictures.

The Pork

The Shrimp

The Spices

Everybody all mixed up

A Patty close up

The three left over patties

On the Grill (SRG)

On my Plate (It was gone before the juices could soak into the paper plate!!)

I am NOT Jonesing anymore!! This is some really great sausage. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am and am going to. I will stuff it into casing the next batch I make. I think it will make it even better, by containing the fats and juices inside of the casing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Looks good!

Sometimes you can find crawfish tails at WallyMart..  Or Langostinos - they have a similar texture.

KyNola

Liking the looks of that Chris.  Liking the looks of that a LOT!

OU812

Niiiiiice

Cant wait to see this in sausage form and then the money shot. ;D

Keymaster

Looks awesome and q'd up real nice!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 27, 2011, 12:40:37 PM

Looks good!

Sometimes you can find crawfish tails at WallyMart..  Or Langostinos - they have a similar texture.

Thanks Pat, I will look for them. I was making this mainly for the folks that don't have access to them, that they could use shrimp as a substitution. This is also basically a dry run and since shrimp is cheaper and more readily available I used it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

WOW!  I snagged that receipt for sure  ;D  Man O Man that looks like a killer sausage for sure.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

cobra6223

Dang Chris glad you decided not to mow the lawn !!! They look very good, once in the casing will you treat them like brat, for example boil in beer and grill or just fry off? ever thought of just kidnapping Sonny till he made lots of sausage and then turn him loose till ya ran out?
Tim

10.5 Mobile

Tim It wouldn't do any good to kidnap Sonny he just buys the sausage he didn't make it!!

ghost9mm

Chris...I moved that recipe to my book, it really does sound good and looks even better....
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SouthernSmoked

Dang Chris!! I bet that's Mmm   Mmmmm Goood!!!!

Sonny gave me a couple of packages of Veron's Crawfish Sausage the other day...GONE!!

GONE! GONE!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Quote from: cobra6223 on September 27, 2011, 03:37:55 PM
Dang Chris glad you decided not to mow the lawn !!! They look very good, once in the casing will you treat them like brat, for example boil in beer and grill or just fry off? ever thought of just kidnapping Sonny till he made lots of sausage and then turn him loose till ya ran out?
Tim

I would suggest treating them like a Brat or any other fresh sausage and just flop them on the grill until they is done. Or make into patties if you don't have a sausage stuffer.

NePaSmoKer

Thems look good.

Going to put in the archives  ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: 10.5 Mobile on September 27, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Tim It wouldn't do any good to kidnap Sonny he just buys the sausage he didn't make it!!

NO! I just gave Chris the idea to and make a crawfish/shrimp/pork sausage. ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 27, 2011, 06:05:25 PM
Quote from: 10.5 Mobile on September 27, 2011, 04:11:31 PM

NO! I just gave Chris the idea to and make a crawfish/shrimp/pork sausage. ;D
I wuz thinking about that...
The crawfish does cost way more, but seems like, if you used shrimp...
(and maybe some crawfish, like you suggested, Sonny)

What if you bought whole shrimp in the shell?
Would be more work, but boiling down the shrimp shells and heads for a stock in place of water...?
Just thinking out loud....

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby