Also need Brisket advice!

Started by jsmanson, September 29, 2011, 08:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmanson

Ok - first time to do a brisket...  I have a 4.5 lb brisket that's going in for a nice dinner Saturday night.  So I've done lots of reading, and I am trying to get a handle on an estimate for how long this thing is going to be in the smoker.  I have seen everything from 4 hrs to 18 to 20 hrs.  I suspect that this will likely be on the shorter time frame as it is fairly small relative to what most people are smoking.  Also, I am assuming that this thing would be a 'flat', due to it's weight, right??

John

stevergs

i did an 8 lb er today. got it ready last night and got up at 3 this morning. into the bradley with smoke rolling about 3:45. it hit 185 about 4:30 this afternoon and then about 1 and a half FTC. came out great. hope that helps.

DTAggie

Quote from: jsmanson on September 29, 2011, 08:25:51 PM
Ok - first time to do a brisket...  I have a 4.5 lb brisket that's going in for a nice dinner Saturday night.  So I've done lots of reading, and I am trying to get a handle on an estimate for how long this thing is going to be in the smoker.  I have seen everything from 4 hrs to 18 to 20 hrs.  I suspect that this will likely be on the shorter time frame as it is fairly small relative to what most people are smoking.  Also, I am assuming that this thing would be a 'flat', due to it's weight, right??

John

At that size I would say you have the flat.  At 225* I would imagine it would take no more than 6 hrs or so.  All depends on outside environment.  Being a flat, I would use top or second from top rack.

ArnieM

I'd agree it's a flat based on weight.  As DTAggie said use one of the upper racks.  This keeps it farther away from the direct heat and provides more even heating.

Use 3-4 hours of your favorite smoke.  Then, cook until done.  It could be six hours or ten hours.  A lot depends on the hunk of meat itself.

You may hit one or two stall points.  The IT will just sit there for what seems like an eternity.  Just be patient.

Generally, I plan (and hope) to finish early and then FTC for 1-4 hours.  It's much better to have it ready ahead of time rather than have people grumbling for food at dinner time.

Good luck and take pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jsmanson

OK I will allow for a possible 12 hour session in the Bradley, Plus 1-2 hrs of FTC, eating at 7pm, so that will be a 5-6am start in the bradley, plus another 1/2 hr to warm the thing up.  I will smoke for 4 hrs.

I'll take pics, thanks again for your advice!

OU812

After the smoke dump and refill the water bowl with HOT water, then dump and refill the water bowl every 4 or 5 hr.

Also make sure the hole in the V tray stays clean and open.

Oh YA.

Dont forget to let the brisket come to room temp before throwin it in the smoker.

Have fun.

Tenpoint5

Just as a follow up make sure the drip tray looks like a V and points down not up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!