Fat Cap Down or Up

Started by zueth, September 30, 2011, 04:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I have always read that you smoke/cook pork butt and brisket with the fat cap up.  But I have seen a few discussions lately that say that you should cook with fat cap down, that way your rub does not come off the meat.  What are your thoughts on whether the fat cap should be up or down and does it matter?

FLBentRider

Let me start by saying that for each person on the forum you may get a different answer.

I used to be a "fat up" guy, subscribing to the "self basting" theory.

I experimented with "Fat down" and I found that it works like a "heat shield" - There is much less fat cap left over, and I think the brisket is more tender for it. I've been doing them fat down ever since.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I agree with Randy everyone has a different idea on up or down. I am in the fat cap up camp. Just because thats the way I have always done it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

I'm in the fat cap on bottom camp but i really don't think it makes much difference.  I do it partially as a little protection from the heat source, but mainly because I'm a mopped.  Mopping the fat cap seems well rather........useless.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ghost9mm

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 30, 2011, 05:03:43 PM
I agree with Randy everyone has a different idea on up or down. I am in the fat cap up camp. Just because thats the way I have always done it.

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Ka Honu

You should always cook with the fat cap down... or up.  I think almost everybody agrees on that... or not.  Historically this discussion first started in 1726 when Jonathan Swift took pen to parchment (or whatever) and wrote Gulliver's Travels.  Your perspective pretty much depends on whether you're a small end or large end egg peeler.

ArnieM

I used to go fat cap up but now I'm pretty much in the same camp as Caney; a lot of mop.

However, one should carefully consider KH's point of view.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

La Quinta

KH...you crack me up... ;D I do fat up...but hell there are people that flip a turkey over too..I get the point of that...but I go with tradition on a brisket...

squirtthecat

Down for me.  I like the extra bark and I'm too lazy to trim..