Smoking some Chinook

Started by smokinroll, October 01, 2011, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinroll

Did pretty well on the Columbia the other day (5 total before 12pm) so we are smoking up some Chinook tomorrow.  This will be my first Salmon smoke in my bradley, any pointers would be appreciated.  Specifically where can I find a silicon or non stick mat to place the salmon on?

Thank you

mikecorn.1

Nice looking catch. You can get some frog mats at yard and pool website
http://www.yardandpool.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Frog+mats&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

RFT

Nice Catch :)

Are you Upper Columbia River or Lower?   I fish the upper Columbia for Kings.  Looks looks you had a great day.
Check out avatar.  this was taken last Wednesday.

Anyway.  Smoking Salmon.   I normally use "Scotts Brine" Fillet fish and remove all pin bones then cut into about 1.5  or 2" strips leaving skin on.  Brine for at least 12-24hrs in the fridge.  I have frog matts but don't use them for salmon although I may next time to prevent skin from sticking to racks to bad.  After brine is up get your racks ready, spray with Pam, or if you have frog matts use those.  Lay fish on racks and let air dry untill tacky usually about an hour. Dab them with a paper towel to speed things up.    PRe heat smoker when you are doing this. 
last weekends smoke I use my PID for the first time. first cycle was warm up. second was set to 125 deg for 4.7hrs W/ smoke generator going for 2hrs. second cycle was set to 160 for another 4hrs. 

Hope that helps.

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Use  Kummoks recipe for sure!!! Don't try and rush the process, Patience will make you a captain smoker. The fish that is discolored may be unsuitable for smoking as it may just turn to mush, Sorry. I would give it a shot.

smokinroll

Thanks for the help guys.  Looks like I might just grease down the racks, I don't really have time to order the frog mats.  I was up in the Vernita bridge area, the cooler temps really made the fish become active and the wind kicked up and made the white caps active as well.  They are holding deep right now do to our warmer temps.  I was going to use Alder, I have Cherry, Hickory as well.  Should I just smoke the entire time with Alder? Keymaster- These babies were bled almost immediately the pigment discoloration on the outside of that one happens sometimes after being caught (same fish in photo 1).  The meat was still very bright and firm.

Keymaster

I would use Alder all through out the smoke, youll do good

RFT

Quote from: Keymaster on October 01, 2011, 04:22:56 PM
Use  Kummoks recipe for sure!!! Don't try and rush the process, Patience will make you a captain smoker. The fish that is discolored may be unsuitable for smoking as it may just turn to mush, Sorry. I would give it a shot.

I really need to try Kommoks.  Next time for sure.

Keymaster. I'm sure the meat on that fish is fine. Looks like that was the one on the bottom of the cooler possibly.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

smokinroll

Will do (alder), thanks guys.

Quarlow

Well that area looks familiar to me. I have been to Moses Lake twice this year to pick up loads of chemical. Quite the drive out there. Nice fish SR. Alder is what I use for salmon for sure.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Kummok

Those are some nice sized spawners, Smokinroll! ...and the water looks almost ski-able to boot...must have been a memorable day on the Columbia!

Quarlow

If by skiing you mean wind surfing then you are right. The topoghraphy there sets a pretty good wind threw the gorge. They have wind surfer contests there from what I have heard. But the last time I went threw the water was smooth as glass and on a week day there was probably 15 boats out with skiers.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Kummok

I've seen the Gorge wind surfing years ago but I must have hit it just right all the other times I've been through there cuz it was droolingly ski-able and I had a deadline to meet so couldn't stop and give it a go...too bad the Kings don't go for bait at 28mph cuz you could ski AND troll at the same time!!

smokinroll

Kummock, just 30 minutes away is the Tri-Cities where I live, it's a boaters paradise.  A ton of skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, jet skiing etc, we have the yakima, snake and columbia rivers to choose from.  Great weather not windy at all like the Gorge and temps in the 90's in the summer and yes water like glass in the a.m. prime for wakeboarding or skiing.  I used your recipe for my salmon and it came out great.  How do you normally store yours do you freeze them right away?  If just refrigerated and not frozen is it safe to assume they would keep for about a week or two?

Thanks.

Kummok

Glad your results were great!  I always vac-seal and freeze after the smoke and some cool-down time. For my own personal taste, the product has a better flavor after they've been frozen than fresh out of the smoker, even if only frozen for a day... After coming out of the freezer, it usually has a planned purpose so it normally gets used right away but I have kept it in the reefer for a few weeks with no negative taste effects.

When that run is through, c'mon up and catch some "Winter Kings"!!