Jim Beam Cold Smoked Rib-Eyes

Started by muebe, October 02, 2011, 11:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Six frozen Rib-Eyes I got on sale...

Into the OBS with six pucks of Jim Beam Oak and ice in the tray...

Cold smoking fan on to direct air over heatsink and keep smoke feed pipe temps cool...

PID turned on with element switched off. Just used to monitor cabinet temps and for timing. Starting cabinet temp of 48F...

After 10 minutes smoke was rolling...

2 hours later the cabinet temp was at 66F and the steaks still frozen. The ambient temp outside was 90F :o

Pulled from the smoker...

Now for some seasoning...

Two with Susie Q's...

Two with Gunpowder...

And the last two will be cooked today. They were marinated with Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Glaze in the vacuum marinator.

The other steaks were vacuum sealed and put back in the deep freeze ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Kitchen Commander

I bet those are gonna be really good.  I'm guessing that gunpowder seasoning is a homemade treat.  I just so happen to be doing ribeyes tonight as well.  Really nice USDA prime cut, I picked up from Costco.  Kind of pricey, but I wanted a better cut for the cold smoke I did to them yesterday morning.  I used hickory pucks, because I was doing some cheese at the same time.  Smoked the steaks and the cheese for about 2 hours.  I put ice in the smoker to, but didn't see below 80 the whole time.

Does the ice need to be spread out wide?  Like maybe putting it in a casserole dish about the same as the grates.  Thanks.
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

SiFumar

muebe

Quote from: Kitchen Commander on October 02, 2011, 02:26:10 PM
I bet those are gonna be really good.  I'm guessing that gunpowder seasoning is a homemade treat.  I just so happen to be doing ribeyes tonight as well.  Really nice USDA prime cut, I picked up from Costco.  Kind of pricey, but I wanted a better cut for the cold smoke I did to them yesterday morning.  I used hickory pucks, because I was doing some cheese at the same time.  Smoked the steaks and the cheese for about 2 hours.  I put ice in the smoker to, but didn't see below 80 the whole time.

Does the ice need to be spread out wide?  Like maybe putting it in a casserole dish about the same as the grates.  Thanks.

My steaks were put in frozen. There were six of them. And I also filled the lower tray with ice. The ambient outside temps were cool when I started(60's) and in the 90's at the end. The temp was taken below the lowest rack.

I think the one thing that really helps me keep temps cool has to do with my OBS setup. The cooling fan allows the smoke to rise up the pipe but removes most of the heat. The smoke coming into the cabinet is very cool.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Keymaster

Nice Job on them steaks Muebe, Curious to see how much smoke they will absorb frozen. Great Idea!!!!!

ghost9mm

Just a great job Mike... they really look super good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

So I thought I would try something different with the two Soy Vay marinated Rib-Eyes instead of normal grilling. The inspiration was foil wrapped chicken ;D

Pre-heated the Traeger to 350F...

Rib-Eyes were laid out onto foil. Then covered them in more glaze and sesame seeds...

Wrapped up in foil...

After a 40 minute run on the Traeger...

Bumped the Traeger up to 400F and cooked some 5 cheese Texas Toast...

All plated with a ramekin of Au Jus and more glaze...

Well this turned out ok but not really great. There were thicker parts that were very tender but the thinner parts of the steak were somewhat dry. The smoke flavor was really good though. I think a much lower temperature of 275F to 300F for an hour would be better. These Rib-Eyes were not very thick and maybe 2 inch or thicker steaks would yield better results.

SouthernSmoked

Michael that all looks good!

Nice job...... I'd hammer that!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

zueth

Quote from: muebe on October 02, 2011, 03:07:29 PM
Quote from: Kitchen Commander on October 02, 2011, 02:26:10 PM

My steaks were put in frozen. There were six of them. And I also filled the lower tray with ice. The ambient outside temps were cool when I started(60's) and in the 90's at the end. The temp was taken below the lowest rack.

I think the one thing that really helps me keep temps cool has to do with my OBS setup. The cooling fan allows the smoke to rise up the pipe but removes most of the heat. The smoke coming into the cabinet is very cool.

When I cold smoke steaks they have always been defrosted, do you feel they soak up the smoke as well when frozen?