Maverick Wireless Thermometer freaking out

Started by Kitchen Commander, October 02, 2011, 09:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitchen Commander

Picked up a Maverick wireless thermometer when I got the smoker.  Nice little unit for $50, but it started reading really high yeterday.  It started out reading 3 H's on the display then after a while it was showing the inside temperature of the smoker at over 400.  I knew that the smoker temperature wasn't that high.  I tried switching the probes around.  The food probe read fine no matter which input it was plugged into.  The smoker probe read high no matter which input it was plugged into.  Seems as though the probe is shorted or something.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

FLBentRider

You didn't happen to get the probe wet, did you?

The probes don't like water.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kitchen Commander

I didn't get it wet before it started reading weird.  Unless it got wet from drippings off the the ribs.  After it read weird I put just the tip of it in water to see how it would affect the temperature reading.  Only the tip though.  I didn't think it would be good if it got wet where the wire goes into to probe.

mikecorn.1

Sound like you got a bad probe. Unfortunately for me, I am having low temp readings but it's the
Unit and not the probe :(. Reading 13' too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kitchen Commander

Yeah, bad probe sounds pretty logical to me too.  I'll try calling the company and kill them with kindness to see if they'll send me a new one.  Worst case, they'll charge me $12 for another one and I'll give them an appropriate review here on the forum.  Damn though!  That was only the 3rd time I'd used it and it crapped out.  For $50 I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation for it to work more than 3 times.

RFT

I just sent my 732 in for repair/replacement last Monday. Was reading very high temps on one probe then a week later both probes.
Still waiting to get it back.  The et 73 I had was a p.o.s..   Hope the 732's prove to be better units.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.