1st Time With Pork Ribs Need Advice

Started by Karaokegod01, October 03, 2011, 11:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karaokegod01

Alright I have 2 Slabs Of Pork Ribs That I Am Gonna Smoke Tomorrow And Have A Couple Questions. 1. What Temperature Should I Cook Them At And How Long Should I Cook Them? 2. What Should I Use For A Rub And Should I Brush Some Kind Of Sauce On Them Throughout The Smoking Process. 3. What Kind Of Wood Should I Use? Any Help With This Would Be Great

Caneyscud

Ok, stand back - you have opened up the flood gate of ideas.  Here is my take.

1. What Temperature Should I Cook Them At And How Long Should I Cook Them?

I usually use 220 to 230.  How long can't tell - you did not mention if they were baby backs, spare ribs, St Louis, or danish

2. What Should I Use For A Rub
Many, many different kinds.  However, more often than not I just go with salt, pepper, and cayenne or at times I'll use Caney's ChocoChiliCoffe rub!  Seriously, there are 100's if not 1000's to choose from.  I suggest find one that catches your eye and use it.  If you don't like much - then next time either modify or try another. 

2A.   And Should I Brush Some Kind Of Sauce On Them Throughout The Smoking Process.

Many use sauce.  I would not put on the sauce until the last 1/2 to 1 hour.  As for as type of sauce - almost endless possibilities.  Deb just posted a Old Growth Zinfandel reduction sauce.  But again, find one at the store that catches your eye and try it.  Then change to another or modify.  I like dry ribs usually so I have not favorites.  I will very lightly glaze ribs sometimes when I think the people I'm feeding would appreciate it.

3. What Kind Of Wood Should I Use? Any Help With This Would Be Great

I'd vote for hickory.  But any would do well.  Strongest would be Mesquite - milder would be Alder or Maple
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Karaokegod01

Also Should I Boil The Ribs Before I Smoke Them? My Grandma Used To Cook Ribs All The Time And She Used To Boil Them Before Grilling Them.

Karaokegod01

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 03, 2011, 11:11:59 AM
Ok, stand back - you have opened up the flood gate of ideas.  Here is my take.

1. What Temperature Should I Cook Them At And How Long Should I Cook Them?

I usually use 220 to 230.  How long can't tell - you did not mention if they were baby backs, spare ribs, St Louis, or danish

2. What Should I Use For A Rub
Many, many different kinds.  However, more often than not I just go with salt, pepper, and cayenne or at times I'll use Caney's ChocoChiliCoffe rub!  Seriously, there are 100's if not 1000's to choose from.  I suggest find one that catches your eye and use it.  If you don't like much - then next time either modify or try another. 

2A.   And Should I Brush Some Kind Of Sauce On Them Throughout The Smoking Process.

Many use sauce.  I would not put on the sauce until the last 1/2 to 1 hour.  As for as type of sauce - almost endless possibilities.  Deb just posted a Old Growth Zinfandel reduction sauce.  But again, find one at the store that catches your eye and try it.  Then change to another or modify.  I like dry ribs usually so I have not favorites.  I will very lightly glaze ribs sometimes when I think the people I'm feeding would appreciate it.

3. What Kind Of Wood Should I Use? Any Help With This Would Be Great

I'd vote for hickory.  But any would do well.  Strongest would be Mesquite - milder would be Alder or Maple
They Are Pork Spare Ribs I Have 2 Slabs At About 3.5 Lbs A Slab. I Bought Some Emerald Lagasi (Or However You Spell It LOL) Rub That Looks Pretty Good So I Am Gonna Try That. I Am Looking For A Good Taste With Meat That Falls Off The Bone

Caneyscud

I was about to quickly say NO, NO, NO, NO to boiling the ribs.  However, if that's the way Grandmom did them and you very much like the way Grandmom's tasted - then by all means do it.  However, most on the forum would say emphatically - NO.  Saying something like "would you boil a steak before grilling it?"  There are a number of reasons not to boil, the least of which, is that it just isn't necessary to obtaining moist flavorful ribs that are "almost" falling off the bones.   If all you've had is pre-boiled ribs, then I would suggest at least trying them non-boiled - you might find out you like them better.

The spare ribs will likely take 5 to 6 hours - maybe more maybe less.  Look up the recipe by TenPoint5 on the recipe site.  The method he uses is generally known as 3-2-1.  Three hours smoked, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour cooking out of foil at which time you apply your sauce. 

And get ready for some very good eats!

BTW - Have not used the Emeril Rub, but I would imagine it has his Essence as the base.  I've used his Essences as the base of a number of rubs that have turned out well, so I would think that would be a good choice.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Karaokegod01 on October 03, 2011, 11:13:01 AM
Also Should I Boil The Ribs Before I Smoke Them? My Grandma Used To Cook Ribs All The Time And She Used To Boil Them Before Grilling Them.
IMHO, when you do that, you boiling the  flavor out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

This should take some of the searching out of it for you. Don't boil the ribs.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Karaokegod01

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 03, 2011, 11:58:21 AM
Quote from: Karaokegod01 on October 03, 2011, 11:13:01 AM
IMHO, when you do that, you boiling the  flavor out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Will try the rub and let you know how it turns out. BTW I said that is how my grandma used to do the ribs I however did not say she was a good cook lol I am gonna follow the guide that another person listed and see how that goes. I have a hard time keeping my smoker at 220 225 though dunno why. I have the brick wrapped in foil by my water pan but still hard to keep temps of 220 225 any suggestions would be great

Caneyscud

Preheat the Bradley to 250 to 260 or more before putting the ribs in- then reduce the setting to 220-230.  Should help.  However, the temp is gonna drop no matter what and may take awhile to get back up.  That's ok.  Just make sure you leave space around the ribs.  You want the heat to circulate. 

Wildcat

Generally speaking, do not worry on the temperature too much. I smoke at an average of 205 F. Many smoke higher. For most things, anything over 200 is fine. The higher the temp, the quicker it cooks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

If you boil those ribs I will personally track you down and beat you with a rack of raw babybacks! ;D  Seriously, listen to Caney.  His advice is spot on.  In a Bradley I go with a heat of around 225 and use 2 hours and 40 minutes to 3 hours of hickory smoke.  I strip the membrane off the back of the ribs first and then use whatever Rub I'm thinking I may want to use.  I have also just used salt and pepper with good results.  As for a sauce, I'm not a big sloppy sauce kind of guy.  If I use a suace, it is at the end of the cooking process and just "glaze" the ribs with a couple very very light coats of sauce and allow it to "set" to the ribs.

Karaokegod01

Quote from: KyNola on October 03, 2011, 01:42:51 PM
If you boil those ribs I will personally track you down and beat you with a rack of raw babybacks! ;D  Seriously, listen to Caney.  His advice is spot on.  In a Bradley I go with a heat of around 225 and use 2 hours and 40 minutes to 3 hours of hickory smoke.  I strip the membrane off the back of the ribs first and then use whatever Rub I'm thinking I may want to use.  I have also just used salt and pepper with good results.  As for a sauce, I'm not a big sloppy sauce kind of guy.  If I use a suace, it is at the end of the cooking process and just "glaze" the ribs with a couple very very light coats of sauce and allow it to "set" to the ribs.

It's all fun and games till someone gets beat with raw ribs lol!!!  I am not going to boil them I am gonna do as suggested dry rub then smoke for 3 hours put in foin with apple juice then smoke for another 2 hours then remove and lightly sauce for another hour. Thanks all for the good advice

OU812

Quote from: Karaokegod01 on October 03, 2011, 12:34:26 PM

I have a hard time keeping my smoker at 220 225 though dunno why. I have the brick wrapped in foil by my water pan but still hard to keep temps of 220 225 any suggestions would be great

What do you have your vent set at?

Beleve it or not but by closing the vent your temp will not clime as your not letting the moisture out and the moisture is absorbing the energy of the heat.

Open the vent and the moisture will be released then the engry of the heat is absorbed by the meat.

Also by having all that extra moisture in there you will get black rain dripin down on what your cookin.

My vent is stuck wide open and has been for years.