using gelatin(e) in fresh sausages

Started by crusty044, October 03, 2011, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusty044

Hi,
Is it possible to use gelatin(e) in fresh sausage making to retain moisture. A friend of mine who ran a large sausage shop used it extensively.
It was manufactured from  pig skin according to the label.
Has anyone had experience with it or heard of it's use? I prefer to use a natural moisture retainer.
In Australia non fat dry milk is unavailable and what comes close is full of artificial additives.
Of course we have all sorts of milk powders available but can they be substituted with satisfactory results?
Plain soy protein concentrate is unheard of and everybody wants to sell me Soy Isolate.
I only want to make good tasting sausages without any artificial garbage, the latter certainly must shorten my life span.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Australia.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a list of some sausage ingredients. You can look through them and see which ones are best for retaining moisture in your sausage.

Sausage Ingredients
The  internal links do not work, so do not use them to jump from one ingredient to another, you have to scroll down.

I only use gelatin for emulsified sausage, or as a binder in a variety of other sausages. Gelatin will not known for retaining moisture, but I can see how it would give the sausage a "sense" of being moist.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)