Thanks for the recall, Martha...

Started by Ka Honu, October 05, 2011, 10:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

As some of you may know, I got a 7 quart Martha Stewart enameled cast iron dutch oven several years ago and use it as a gumbo pot as well as for other dishes like osso buco, etc.  Scored big on a sale at Macy's (under $30) and loved it.  Today I found out there was a recall so I took it back to Macy's and they paid me full retail - $150 plus tax in cash!

Two reasons for this post -

First, if you have a Martha Stewart cast iron pot, you can take it in for a full refund with no receipt or anything else.

Second, what are your recommendations for a replacement (I'm thinking Lodge)?

SiFumar

Score!      I bought a no name (maybe was Makers Mark?)cast iron, 5qt, from Sam's club many years ago...has been excellent to cook with.  After Christmas..$10.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SiFumar on October 05, 2011, 10:23:32 PM
Score!      I bought a no name (maybe was Makers Mark?)cast iron, 5qt, from Sam's club many years ago...has been excellent to cook with.  After Christmas..$10.

The Makers Mark (I believe is the same as  the Tramontina and Chefmate brands) dutch oven is highly rated by Cook's Illustrated; because of it's price and that it performed almost as well as the Le Creuset. I have two, one labeled Chefsmate; a 4.5 quart. Then last year Sam's started selling the 6 quart model under the name Tramontina and that is the brand name CC tested. The price for the 6 quart is about $50.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I have some old Le Creuset enameled cast iron pots...   That $150 might put a dent in a new one.

I'd check out the one Habs is referring to.

classicrockgriller

RossP

Lodge all the way, all my cast iron is lodge, the finish and fit is second to none.
My Dutch oven is over twenty years old and My skillet is about fifteen years old and they are great.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen