smoked stuffed whole turkey

Started by cathouse willy, October 03, 2011, 01:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I'm doing the Thanksgiving turkey again. Last year I did the whole cook in the bradley smoker, this year I want to use the srg to roast it after a couple hours of hot smoke in the bradley. My plan was to stuff the bird after the smoke period and then directly into the srg on high lid down.  Is roasting a stuffed bird in the srg a good idea and is my stuffing plan food safe? The family and I really prefer the stuffing cooked with the bird.
Thanks
Bill

Ka Honu

I wouldn't try it.  I'm pretty sure that by the time you get the stuffing to the required temperature (165o) the bird would be burned to a crisp. (I'd be more than "pretty sure" if I'd ever tried it myself but it just isn't one of those "Hold my beer" kinda experiments).

OU812

I wouldnt do it.

Thanksgiving is the time of year that has the most reported cases of food poisoning and they say its from under cooked stuffing.

Just sayin.

muebe

Cooking a stuffed bird is a bad idea. There is too much chance of the stuffing becoming contaminated with nasties and not reaching a proper temp to kill them off.

Just throw the cooked stuffing in the bird after you finish it and give it a 10 minute run in a 400F oven to brown the stuffing. That way you get the stuffing and the bird and are safe :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

If im understanding what you said, you want to completely smoke/cook in the bradley then stuff it and crisp up the skin in the srg. Im guessing as long as  both items are cooked prior to stuffing and finishing in the srg to crip up skin it'll be ok. Thats my 1 cent input  ;D . You can always just completely do the bird in bradley and srg then stick cooked stuffing in the bird for looks sake  :o ::) ;D.   Just dont say ya did it that way  :-X 8)
Mike