Guess What's for Sunday Dinner

Started by ArnieM, October 07, 2011, 02:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Sorry about the delay.  It turned out to be a busy weekend with great weather.

Part 2
Saturday

Took the point out of the fridge and started the hack job.

It was about 4.75 pounds.  I probably cut 12 ounces or so of fat out of it but still pretty fatty.  Cut up into "sugar cube" size pieces.  Do they even make sugar cubes anymore?

Browned up the meat in three batches.  Meanwhile, did a fine chop on a medium onion and six cloves of garlic.

Then it all went into the crock pot.  Ingredients at the end.

Yep, it's chili

It cooked for about 5 hours.  Scooped out most of the liquid into a bowl, meat in a separate bowl, all back in the fridge.  Then, it was time to work on Saturday's dinner - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=6117

Part 3

Sunday

Took the layer of grease off the top of the bowl of liquid and then everything back into the crock pot.  Cooked on low for about six hours.  Had to add a little more stout.

Finally, dinner time (for six).  That's actually a pretty large platter, not my dish  ;D

The chili sprinkled with shredded cheddar, sour cream and guacamole.  Side dishes included rice with beans and fresh baked jalapeno corn bread.

It was an interesting experiment.  I think I like chuck better than the brisket though.  The chuck seems to have a better texture.  I don't think it was the best chili I ever made, but certainly not the worst either.

Wet ingredients (from what I can remember  ::) )
12 ounces Guiness Extra Stout
4 ounces dry red wine
2 ounces dark rum

Veggies, finely chopped
4 medium jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed
1 medium onion
6 cloves of garlic

Dry ingredients
2 TBS chili powder
1 TBS tumeric
1 TBS smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin seed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
t tsp baking chocolate
1 tsp instant coffee

Add 1 tsp cayenne or chipolte powder if you want to heat it up some.

1/3 of the dry spices went in with the first cook.  About another third with the second cook.  After that, it's adjust to taste.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Keymaster

Looks like some darn good chili to me, Thanks for the recipe!!!

Caneyscud

Ok, didn't see that coming - but glad you posted it.  That looks like pretty darn good chili (and appears to be legumeless).  Lots of my favorite ingredients.  Have used stout, but never wine and/or rum.  interesting. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

If I have to do a quick chili using ground beef, I may throw in a can of beans.  Otherwise, it's strictly Texas Red style.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SiFumar

Looks interesting...and good!  Tks for recipe!