You guys talked me into it......

Started by frepar, October 08, 2011, 07:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frepar

I've been kickin around the idea of jackin up the wattage on my OBS, and i would consider myself handy with wiring.  I like the looks of the ease of adding a 900w element but had one question regarding how the PID would handle something like that. 

I have the SYL2352 (i think...off the top of my head) Auber PID.. is this element mod just kind of a plug, retune your PID, and play sorta thing?  or do i have to rewire to 14awg or 12awg wiring?  I've had too many things wired up with thing wire and the draw just does a number on those small lines.

on a side note..... should a guy auto tune his PID with the cabinet full?  i tuned it empty, and it works amazing with just one or two racks in it... but i loaded her down iwth chukar and venison the other day and it stayd 5-6 degrees under setpoint and the PID was not calling for heat....  i assumed it "learned" the swing was a little quicker when it tuned it empty... but id rather have it 5 under than 5 over...

any idears?

you guys all rock!  and props to whoever had the PID mod in the smoke gen... think it was bubbagump?  i get ppl droolin over my setup all the time

pensrock

you should always tune with a load in.
900 watts, i would go with a high temp 14 ga wire min. if you have 12ga and are rewiring anyway i would use that.
you will need to retune after the mod.

TedEbear

Quote from: frepar on October 08, 2011, 07:34:32 AMI have the SYL2352 (i think...off the top of my head) Auber PID.. is this element mod just kind of a plug, retune your PID, and play sorta thing?  or do i have to rewire to 14awg or 12awg wiring?  I've had too many things wired up with thing wire and the draw just does a number on those small lines.

I have the same PID controller in my SG box running dual 500W elements.  The stock wiring will handle everything just fine.  If you're unsure take a look at this American Wire Gauge table. According to the chart a 1000W load chassis wiring is good for as small as 21 awg wire size.  1000W worth of elements draws 8.3 amps.

On the tuning, wrap two bricks in foil and put them in the cooking chamber and then run the auto tune.

muebe

The factory wiring handles my 900w element with no issues...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

factory wire  will handle the 900 watts and run the pid  with auto tune  empty..  will adjust it  self  with  no problems