900 watt element gone bad

Started by cjj, October 08, 2011, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjj

I put in 7 lbs of chicken jerky  this morning  and the temp woud not get above 150 ,  the 900 watt element got hot but woud not get red  I pulled it out and hooked it up to 120 volts  , hot but still not red    any one else every have one of these  elements go bad ? 

GusRobin

Do you have a fan? I read somewhere that the finned heaters needed a fan to keep from burning out ( or something like that). Only saw it once and since my memory sucks I will defer to the folks that have actually used these.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

The 900w Tempco Finned Heating Elements do not require fan circulation according to the manufacturer but the higher wattage ones do.

If the fins get excessive build-up of grease, food, debris, ect. there is a possibility that the element could over heat and fail. I use a metal wire brass toothbrush to clean the fins of buildup.

I had over 60 hours on my finned element before I installed my circulation fan and had no issues. I now have over 100 hours on the element(40 with fan) and no problems thus far.

I also have about 2 inches distance between the back of the cabinet and the element and it is mounted vertical for better heat dissapation & less chance of gunk build-up.

I have used a PID with the element since it's installation and would not recommend you run the finned element without one.

I know Beefman has been using his finned element for several years without a problem.

If you could provide some details on your setup...do you have a PID? How was the element mounted? How close to the interior wall?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

i have over 700 hours on mine and have always ran a fan on mine and do recommend it highly.. have heard other complaints about the  900 watt heater failing due to pour circulation or over  heating

Smokey84

After one smoke mine did the same thing. It gets warm but I can't get the smoker above 170 now. Guess I have to add the fan and try again.

cjj

I do have a fan  and it is mounted at the  top left   I now moved it down to the bottom  , The element was mounted about "1 away from the back.  I had 2 of the 500 watt elements  laying around so i hooked them up for now  we will see how long they  last  i have another 900 watt ordered  ,  I'am  still SMOKING

muebe

I guess I was lucky and had no problems with my element while I did not have a fan.

I wonder if there are some defective 900w elements too ???
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

Quote from: muebe on October 12, 2011, 01:12:19 PM
I guess I was lucky and had no problems with my element while I did not have a fan.

I wonder if there are some defective 900w elements too ???

Nooooooooooo!    Don't even think that!
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Smokey84

I'm running a BBQ guru dx and bypassed the slider in front but I'm thinking I had the element too close to the back wall.  I have about an 1" of clearance but I like the idea of running it vertically and the fan blowing over the fins to help.  My OBS has been around for a good while now and provided me with so many outstanding meals I owe it to the old girl to get her right again. 

Smokey84

I just pulled the heater out and tested with a full 120v.  It glows red so it's either got to be the BBQ raptor or the DX right?

muebe

Quote from: Smokey84 on October 13, 2011, 09:22:46 AM
I just pulled the heater out and tested with a full 120v.  It glows red so it's either got to be the BBQ raptor or the DX right?

Is the OBS temp slider control still being used? That could also be the problem...

Smokey84

Quote from: muebe on October 13, 2011, 10:40:40 AM
Quote from: Smokey84 on October 13, 2011, 09:22:46 AM

Is the OBS temp slider control still being used? That could also be the problem...

The slider had been bypassed.

After doing more testing I found it to be the high temp cutout.  After testing the heater with the 120v I hooked it up to the raptor and the DX2 outside of the smoker and was able to get it to glow.  Looked for the next break in the circuit and found the high temp cutout located on the backside of the smoker.  Bypassed it and tested.  Cabinet is at a perfect 300 degrees with the smoke generator off. 

Habanero Smoker

Smokey84;

An easier way to test the Raptor and DX  to see if it is working is to hook it up to a crock pot,  or electric frying pan etc. That will show if it is working or not without having to remove your heating element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)