1st time using a obs and 1st briskett

Started by mlp311, October 08, 2011, 08:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlp311

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?532-Brisket-Pachanga
This is my first attempt at using an OBS and my first time to smoke a brisket. I'm using the above process / recipe. If you see that I'm doing anything wrong along the way, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I started with a 10lb packers cut. I believe I trimmed as I should and didn't cut to much of the fat off. I read in several posts that you should wet age briskets for 3 to 4 weeks, but I don't have that patience I want some brisket now.

Above trimming.

Seasoning. I found the butt rub in the store where I bought my brisket. Figured I could give it a try.

Lathered in mustard.
After applying the rub and lathering in mustard, I wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge. When I get up in the morning, I'm going to fire up the OBS and put her in. Any suggestions other than the process / recipe I've linked above?

classicrockgriller

Sure wish you would have came to the Forum and ask some questions first but,

Welcome to the Forum.

mlp311

Thanks, I've been reading the forum. What have I done wrong thus far?

Habanero Smoker

Hi mlp311,

Welcome to the forum.

You are doing fine. Forum members use several way of preparing brisket, using Pachanga's recipe is a good place to start and finish, so I would continue to follow his recipe. My only concern so far is using a seasoning made for pork on beef.

Just a few suggestions. Since you have one, place the brisket on the middle position of the smoker. If you have a separate probe for the cabinet, place in under the rack away from the meat. I usually use the front right corner of the rack. For beef I generally use oak bisquettes, that includes the Jim Beam, and apply only 4 hours of smoke. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Relax YOU haven't screwed anything up. I think Sonny is going to comment about how much you trimmed off the brisket in the first pic. I was thinking you over trimmed as well then I looked and that picture is the bottom of the flat. Bad Byrons is designed for Pork but hey you might like it on beef. The pictures while we Love looking at them I have to ask. Was the camera upside down or something I feel like I am going to fall over when looking at a couple of the pics!! You will want to get that brisket in teh smoker as soon as possible. Let the temp run along at 225-250ยบ, hit it with 4 hours of smoke. Settle in for a long day. Should be in the neighborhood of a 14-16 hour cook. Pull at 185 then do the FTC thig for a couple hours then slice and enjoy.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mlp311

Thans Habanero. I couldn't find any brisket or beef rub in my area. I had to drive 45 mins just to get a brisket.!!! I was planning on using the Jim Beam bisquettes, just picked them up yesterday. Im glad you mentioned only doing 4 hrs of smoke, I was concerned with going with smoke the entire time. Just so im clear, bring smoker to 225 - 250, insert briset, and smoke to IT of 190 - 195? Remove briskett and FTC for several hours?

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum mlp311.  Doing fine so far.  Get that thing a'smokin'!  I probably  wouldn't have trimmed quite so much either.  The rub probably has quite a bit of sugar in it. Its not my thing, but it'll turn out fine.  Pics of the finished product would be appreciated.  That is so that those of use who are not smoking a brisket can salivate!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mlp311 on October 09, 2011, 06:00:46 AM
Thans Habanero. I couldn't find any brisket or beef rub in my area. I had to drive 45 mins just to get a brisket.!!! I was planning on using the Jim Beam bisquettes, just picked them up yesterday. Im glad you mentioned only doing 4 hrs of smoke, I was concerned with going with smoke the entire time. Just so im clear, bring smoker to 225 - 250, insert briset, and smoke to IT of 190 - 195? Remove briskett and FTC for several hours?
Myself I have been pulling mine at the 185-190 range. Then Yes FTC for 1-2 hours.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. Looking good. Remember, don't sweat the temperature swings. Keep the vent open. DONT BE PEEKING IN THERE. Let it do its thing. Good luck partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: mlp311 on October 09, 2011, 06:00:46 AMIm glad you mentioned only doing 4 hrs of smoke, I was concerned with going with smoke the entire time.

I suggest changing the water in the bowl, as well as dumping the discarded pucks, after the first 2 hours.  The bowl isn't all that big to handle lots of pucks.  Plus the water level will go down.  After the smoking stage is finished refill it with a fresh bowl of water for the rest of the cook.  Many people have replaced that small bowl with a 9x13 aluminum pan that holds more pucks and more water.  And, if you don't have puck savers, don't let that last puck smolder forever on the heating element or it can generate a bitter taste in the meat.

Hope everything turns out well for you. Don't forget to post pics of the finished product. 

mlp311

Thanks and sorry for the pics, not sure how they got turned upside down. I've got the OBS warming up now. Was planning on starting this yesterday, but had to go in for an unexpected heart cath. I will post plenty of pics; good bad or indifferent. I would have to agree that I got a little knife happy while trimming, but ill know better next time. I think im going to shoot for the 185 IT. I like my steaks medium rare, so im going to go with lower temp. Most of my posts we ill be from phone, so please excuse spelling and grammer. Will post a few more pics once I get it on.

Tenpoint5

There you go lets get this party started!!

ghost9mm

mlp311....First welcome to a really great forum....you have received information from some of the best on this forum....good luck with your brisket... will will be watching for the finished product...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mlp311

So I got the meet in around 9:20. Temperature is back up to 207 and seems to be holding there for now. TedEBear suggested changing water after 2 hours. I'm using a tray instead of the bowl. Should I still dump and change at the two hour mark?

mikecorn.1

Quote from: mlp311 on October 09, 2011, 06:44:41 AM
Thanks and sorry for the pics, not sure how they got turned upside down. I've got the OBS warming up now. Was planning on starting this yesterday, but had to go in for an unexpected heart cath. I will post plenty of pics; good bad or indifferent. I would have to agree that I got a little knife happy while trimming, but ill know better next time. I think im going to shoot for the 185 IT. I like my steaks medium rare, so im going to go with lower temp. Most of my posts we ill be from phone, so please excuse spelling and grammer. Will post a few more pics once I get it on.
Dint weary abaut da speelling. The pics do all the talking for me. ;) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike