1st time using a obs and 1st briskett

Started by mlp311, October 08, 2011, 08:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Welcome!  Remember good ole salt, pepper and garlic/onion powders work too.  Looks like you're getting some good advice here.

mlp311

Opened it up around the 3 hour mark. My aluminum pan was dry and had several pucks smoldering in it. Dumped the pan and added some warmed juice and beer. Temperature was starting to reach 250. IT temp is staying in low 140s.

cajunboudreaux

What do you have wrapped sitting on the drip tray?? just curious
Laissez les bon temps rouler

mlp311

The recipe / process I was going by said to wrap back of drip tray with aluminum foil. Said it would force heat to the front and center. There is a link to recipe in my original post.

Tenpoint5

Alright thats enough Pics of it in the smoker. If your Looking you aint Cookin!! you add about 30 minutes to the cook every time you leave the door wide open taking all of them pictures.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 09, 2011, 12:13:01 PM
Alright thats enough Pics of it in the smoker. If your Looking you aint Cookin!! you add about 30 minutes to the cook every time you leave the door wide open taking all of them pictures.
I agree. Every time you open that door, you loose most of your heat and the smoker hasto start all over to recover. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

mlp311

My IT is 158 and chamber probe is 235. Should I start back smoke at anytime, or is just heat here on out?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Tiny Tim

mlp311

Its smelling good and has my mouth watering.

cajunboudreaux

My number 1 rule is to keep that door shut. I do alot of parties and i put a note on my smokers. You open this door you loose a finger.. Good luck on your smoke. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

mlp311

My brisket is stalling at 165. Another hour will make a total of 12. I thought I would be real close to the 185 IT by now.

GusRobin

Quote from: mlp311 on October 09, 2011, 06:08:36 PM
My brisket is stalling at 165. Another hour will make a total of 12. I thought I would be real close to the 185 IT by now.

Just a couple of comments:
Don't be impatient with the stall in the 160's eventually it will rise.
Others will disagree, but I would never foil the v-tray. It was designed to funnel the grease to the bowl. You run the risk of blocking the drainage flow or causing a back up/ Both of those are a fire hazard. Many may have be doing it a long time with no problems yet, but that is the same thing the guy that jumped off the 20 story building said as he passed the 5th floor going down.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking Alligator

cant wait to see the finished product.. hope it ends well.. tell us how it ended?

mlp311

Just pulled it from OBS and moved to FTC. I broke off some of the flat with a fork and wow, it was good.

What are time limits on FTC? Is there a too long or too short amount of time?

Ill snap a few shots when I get it out of FTC.

mlp311

Ok, just taste tested, and its not bad. I pulled it at 185 IT and FTC for about 2 hours. A few lessons learned. The butt rub was a little much. Too much salt and pepper. Next time, I'll either season myself with salt, pepper, and garlic like someone suggested, or I will find a brisket rub. Its a tad bit dry. I think I may have gotten to caught up in worrying about my pan in the bottom of the OBS going dry. I opened three times I think and refilled the pan twice during the thirteen hour smoke. This may have drug the process out a little bit further and caused it to dry out a bit. On the other hand would it have dried out more if I hadn't refilled the pan those two times? Any opinions on this?

Overall, I'm happy with my brisket and my first smoke in a OBS. I borrowed the OBS out of my dad's storage unit, and it may be awhile before he gets it back.

Please share any thoughts you may have, I'm here to learn. I appreciate those of you that have already taken time to comment and share your thoughts.

I'm thinking I might try some bacon weaving and chicken on my next smoke. Any suggestions on recipes?