1st time using a obs and 1st briskett

Started by mlp311, October 08, 2011, 08:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Ist off, I can't see the meat too clearly - but it looks at least somewhat moist.  I cooked some  1 1/2" thick ribeyes last night.  They were cooked over wood: three À point - mine saignant.  They were (particularly mine) tender and juicy.  Briskets will never be like that.  They are a different cut with different characteristics altogether.  The brisket is one of the most exercised muscles, therefore one of the toughest, with bigger fibers, contains the most collage and the one of the densest in muscle fiber and generally doesn't have much intramuscular fat (marbling) as opposed to inter-muscular fat (the fat between muscles).

If concerned with the foil on the v-tray, then just put the foil on the rear half of the lowest rack. 

Now that the first is out of the way, analyze what you liked and don't like and make a change or two for next time.  Looks like you are already doing that.  The rub is easy to change (I'm one in the salt/pepper/garlic/cayenne camp).  Maybe not so much fat trimmed off.  Did you like the smoke- type and amount? 

I think it a little strange that you got to the plateau at 165 in 11th hour of the smoke.  For me it is usually in the 150's and lasts for a few hours.  Then start slowly climbing again until my desired IT is attained.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"