Canadian Bacon

Started by KyNola, October 01, 2011, 08:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Nothing special to this.  Curing up a 2.25 lb piece of pork loin for Canadian bacon.  Vac sealed and tucked away in the frig for a few days.  It's not necessary to vac seal.  A gallon ziplock bag works just fine.  I have vac sealed pork loin before with good results though.

classicrockgriller

Getting to be that time of the year for Bacon works.

I need to do the same.

Keymaster

I want to do the same thing, do you have a recipe that uses Cure#1 as I dont have any Morton tender quick?

KyNola

Key, here is a substitute for MTQ. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?441-Basic-Dry-Cure-Morton-s-Tender-Quick-substitute  For canadian bacon, to this Cure mix add 1 tsp of onion powder and 1 tsp of garlic powder per pound of meat.  That should get you there.

Keymaster

Quote from: KyNola on October 01, 2011, 12:59:43 PM
Key, here is a substitute for MTQ. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?441-Basic-Dry-Cure-Morton-s-Tender-Quick-substitute  For canadian bacon, to this Cure mix add 1 tsp of onion powder and 1 tsp of garlic powder per pound of meat.  That should get you there.
Thanks KyNola, I'll have to defrost my Tenderloin.

KyNola

You might want to add 1 tsp of brown sugar per pound of meat as well.

SiFumar

I used Hab's Basic cure(and his Canadian bacon) came out perfect!

Keymaster

Ok five days in the cure, its time to smoke. all I have is Pecan and alder pucks. Im thinking Alder for two hours or would Pecan be more suitable?

devo

I would go with the Pecan but thats just me, the last time I made bacon I used apple because thats all I had and all was good

KyNola

Key, I would go with pecan.

Keymaster

Thanks Guys, Pecan is what it will be. The pork is soakin in a tub of water right now

Tenpoint5

Yep Pecan is what I would go with given them two choices. Hickory and pecan are pretty close
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!