DId a butt on Saturday and...

Started by ghost9mm, October 10, 2011, 10:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

great  looking butt.... none was letf

FLBentRider

Quote from: SoCalBill on October 20, 2011, 02:37:36 PM
Just curious how many people a butt like that could serve and once its done and pulled what are some good re-heating instructions?

I ask because we are planning a party with 35 people (22 adults and the rest kids/children) I want to make a large butt like this and also do a brisket.

The answer is... it depends

on appetites and serving sizes.

Here's my math: I'm doing it for 8lbs since it comes out nice and even, adjust accordingly

8lbs of raw pork butt = ~4lbs of pulled pork. The actual loss is about 40-45%, but I like to err on the side of caution.
4lbs(64oz) of pulled pork / 4oz serving size = 16 servings. so 1lb raw=2 servings

Now come the variables:

Is this the only main course (you stated there would also be brisket) ?

The 22 adults - how are the appetites ? should you account for "seconds"

FWIW - the formula pretty much works for brisket too.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

What FLBR said, but maybe 1/3 # for a serving if bunch of guys and teens.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ghost9mm

What... FLBentRider and Caneyscud said...they pretty much nailed it...sure hope this helps you...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TonyL222

Quote from: ghost9mm on October 10, 2011, 01:28:26 PM
Arnie...that butt weight 9.30 lbs and about 12 hours...the smoker was only opened once to check the grease pan...

12 hrs for a 9lb butt??!!!!!

What am I doing wrong?  I've never been able to smoke a butt that big for less than 19-20 hours.  This was in the middle of summer with the door closed majority of the time (no basting).  I cook at about 220 degrees to an IT of 195.  Should I raise the cook temp?

Caneyscud

I would.  IMHO there is not any particular need to string it out any longer than needed.  I usually set mine at 230. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Quote from: TonyL222 on October 21, 2011, 05:29:06 AM

12 hrs for a 9lb butt??!!!!!

...  I've never been able to smoke a butt that big for less than 19-20 hours.  This was in the middle of summer with the door closed majority of the time (no basting).  I cook at about 220 degrees to an IT of 195.  Should I raise the cook temp?

How many butts have you done?  I only ask this because I've had butts of similar weights require considerably different cooking times.  Bone-in or boneless is also a factor. 

I agree with Caney that you could up the temp, if possible.  Putting a cold butt in a 'stock' Bradley will drop the temp like a rock and it will only begin to recover as the meat temp increases.  So, starting out at 220 means you won't be cooking at 220 for some time.

I actually like the 18 hour or so cooking time.  I can put the butt in at 8 PM, usually take it out around 2 or 3 PM the next day, FTC it for a few hours and then pull it.  I shoot for 200-205 IT and/or give it a fork twist to check for doneness.

I do agree though, 12 hours is pretty quick for 9+ pounds in a Bradley.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ghost9mm

If you are cooking at 220 with a pid then you are pretty much holding that temp within a few degrees, but if you are cooking with just the bradley, the temperature drop offs sometimes on mine before the pid was as high as 30 to 50 degrees, and this added lots of time to the cook...
now I have the pid and I like to set my at 250 amd that works well for me...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TonyL222

Been smokin with a PID since day one.  Done probably 4 butts.  Now have dual elements.  I may try 230-235 next time just to see how it comes out.

PS - just read the "Turbo Butt" thread where classicrockgriller used a cook temp of 260 for 10 hrs.  I note he also injected a marainade into the meat.  Not sure if I want to go as high as 260, but maybe 245 or so on my next try.

SoCalBill

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 20, 2011, 03:28:36 PM
Quote from: SoCalBill on October 20, 2011, 02:37:36 PM
Just curious how many people a butt like that could serve and once its done and pulled what are some good re-heating instructions?

I ask because we are planning a party with 35 people (22 adults and the rest kids/children) I want to make a large butt like this and also do a brisket.

The answer is... it depends

on appetites and serving sizes.

Here's my math: I'm doing it for 8lbs since it comes out nice and even, adjust accordingly

8lbs of raw pork butt = ~4lbs of pulled pork. The actual loss is about 40-45%, but I like to err on the side of caution.
4lbs(64oz) of pulled pork / 4oz serving size = 16 servings. so 1lb raw=2 servings

Now come the variables:

Is this the only main course (you stated there would also be brisket) ?

The 22 adults - how are the appetites ? should you account for "seconds"

FWIW - the formula pretty much works for brisket too.

Thanks for the info. There will be a ton of sides as well.

Appetizer:
Smoked Cheeses and a mix of Blazing and Citrus Pistachios

Sides:
Greens
baked beans
mashed potatoes
Cornbread
Mac & Cheese

Desserts:
bread pudding
some kind of cobbler

I haven't gotten the final head count, but looks like I will be doing 8+lb pulled pork Friday night, 8lb brisket and transfer to the oven and a couple chickens in the smoker and finish off in TBE. Hopefully this will be enough

mlp311

When you guys say cook temp of 260, is that what you bring bradley up to before inserting meat? Ive used my bradley twice now and haven't been able to reach temps anywhere near that. I did three butts this weekend and temp only got up to 210 right before I pulled the first one out at IT of 180. I read all of these posts with the high cooking temps and don't understand how to get the temp that high. Am I missing something?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

FLBentRider

Quote from: mlp311 on November 07, 2011, 01:09:03 PM
When you guys say cook temp of 260, is that what you bring bradley up to before inserting meat? Ive used my bradley twice now and haven't been able to reach temps anywhere near that. I did three butts this weekend and temp only got up to 210 right before I pulled the first one out at IT of 180. I read all of these posts with the high cooking temps and don't understand how to get the temp that high. Am I missing something?

Where are you measuring the temperature?

If it is the door thermometer, and you have food in the smoker below the level of the probe, you will get a false reading.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

With three butts, reaching a cabinet temperature of 210°F is not bad. You should have seen some improvement in the cabinet temperature when you removed one of the butts. If there was no improvement in temperature, then your vent setting may have been either too small, or too opened. If it is the vent setting try using a 3/4 opening and adjust from there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mlp311

I really don't pay attention to door thermometer. I have a few digital thermometers I have picked up here and there that I use for all my temps. I usually put one in whatever is on bottom rack, one in whatever is on top, and use a third inside the cabinet usually around the top of whatever is on bottom rack. I've compared all the digitals to a regular meat thermometer and all have checked out plus or minus a few degrees in accuracy. I've just seen all these cook at temps and I guess im just a little confused. The butts I did this past weekend I got bradley up to 220 opened door and let it regain again before I put butts in and like I said when I took first butt out it just had gotten up to 210 after 16 hours and only opening door twice. I am running vent wide open to 3/4 open. I just want to clear up my confusion about the cooking temp. I've done two smokes thus far and have yet to touch the cabinet temp adjustment. Am I doing right by bringing the bradley up to suggest cooking temp and then just letting the temp do what it will and recover when it will? I am using a larger aluminum pan instead of the bowl that comes with. I read on the brisket recipe / method I used that it will not dry out as quick which results in having to open door less often. Is this a bad idea? Am I putting to much moisture in the cabinet by using the aluminum pan? Should i even be worried about the bowl or pan going dry after I quit smoking and don't need the water to extinguish the used pucks? Im asking a lot of questions, but I want to perfect the process, which by the way I've never been able to do with a conventional smoker. I robbed the Bradley from my Dad's storage unit and think its the most awesome thing ever. Everyone here has been very helpful in my learning process. When I had a question during my smoke this past weekend, I got answers from several folks on this forum almost immediately. Maybe one day ill be able to return the favor by helping some newbie with a bunch of question.

mlp311

I was running out of time when I pulled the first and had two chickens to do as well. I turned to the forum for suggestions and they suggested finishing them in the oven, which I did. So, im not sure what temp did after taking first out. Everything turned out great though, especially the chickens. The butts were good, but IMO, they didn't have the wow that's good taste that the chickens did. I only allowed the butts to sit for 12 hours after applying the Byrun's butt rub, so I plan on planning better next time and letting them sit after applying rub for longer next time.