CHEESE GONE WRONG

Started by nodak, December 28, 2005, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Sounds a little to warm for cold smoking cheese. I'm just guessing[?] Alright cheese heads what's the best temp for doing this? Inquiring minds want to know.[:D]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IKnowWood</i>
<br />But with ambients at 70 degrees?  or 80 even, is cold smoking done till cooler weather?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

GOOSE BAY COMPANY

Thunder Fish

I will take my cheese(chedar/mozza) to a "Internal" temp of no higher than 78 faren.Even than you just &gt;start&lt; to see the oil coming out.
Terry

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Internal" temp of no higher than 78 faren.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I agree, anything above this and the cheese starts to get "sweaty".

Some sources say that cabinet temperature up to 100F is OK for cold smoking but personnally I would not go above 80-85F absolute maximum.

As JJC said, using the "John Watkins" method with a remote box means that the temp never goes beyond 5-7F above ambient, those where the ambient temperature is likely to cause a problem getting too close to or above the 80-85F cold smoke cut off would have to consider using ice and or smoking in the evening or at night.

Manxman.
Manxman

oguard

I coldsmoke my cheese when it is fairly cool out 5-8 Cel.I use a bowl full of ice on the bottom rack and the vent almost full open.I have tried everything from asiago(spell?) mozza,mediuim cheddar and I am sure a couple others.Use apple,cherry and even tried hickory.It is all based on taste I use 2-3 pucks and always let the cheese mellow for 1-2 weeks before eating.I find vacuum packing works well for this as it will keep the kids out of it until I open it[:p][:p].

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.