Canada Bacon

Started by Keymaster, October 08, 2011, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 11, 2011, 04:44:59 AM
Going to have to update the chart 145º is the new standard for whole muscle meat on pork. Ruhlman would even like to see it at 135º

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-24/health/chi-usda-changes-guidelines-for-cooking-pork-20110524_1_cooking-pork-pork-chops-national-pork-board

The chart on the recipe site was changed on May 24th to reflect the new USDA guidelines.

The 135°F internal temperature, I don't know. :) Though pork is raised differently and the meat is safer I still like to make sure the meat reaches at least 139°;F unless the meat has been frozen at an adequate temperature and time to kill any possible Trichinella parasite that may be present. With the average thermometer reading plus or minus 2 degrees, and the placement of the thermometer, I like to bring it up to 140°F with a few degrees from carryover.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

VI_Smoker

Nice breakfast - I'll have to give canadian bacon a try!

Keymaster

I found a store that sells Morton sugar cure but only in smoked flavor. I purchased it but has anyone used the smoked flavor on Canadian bacon. It sure does make the cupboard smell funky :D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Keymaster on October 12, 2011, 05:01:25 AM
I found a store that sells Morton sugar cure but only in smoked flavor. I purchased it but has anyone used the smoked flavor on Canadian bacon. It sure does make the cupboard smell funky :D

The Smoked flavor is not interchangeable with TQ and the Plain Sugar Cure. The Smoked Flavor is to be used for meats that require a long period of cure time; those type of curing you would use Cure #2 for. It contains 1% sodium nitrate, while TQ and Sugar Cure (plain) contains .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium nitrite. The smoke flavoring and other spices are contained in a separate package within the main package. If you want to add the smoke flavor you added it to your cure mix just before you get ready to apply it to the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 12, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: Keymaster on October 12, 2011, 05:01:25 AM

The Smoked flavor is not interchangeable with TQ and the Plain Sugar Cure. The Smoked Flavor is to be used for meats that require a long period of cure time; those type of curing you would use Cure #2 for. It contains 1% sodium nitrate, while TQ and Sugar Cure (plain) contains .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium nitrite. The smoke flavoring and other spices are contained in a separate package within the main package. If you want to add the smoke flavor you added it to your cure mix just before you get ready to apply it to the meat.
Thanks Habanero Smoker for the info. Your a great resource to the forum :)