MORE Pepperoni Sticks...

Started by Kevin A, October 18, 2011, 05:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

This past weekend, I finally had some free time (a rarity!) to do something in the kitchen so decided to make some pepperoni snack sticks. Thanks to Nepas for providing the recipe! Although this isnt my first 'go-round' with making meat sticks, I've had requests from my sons for some pepperoni. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

I pretty much had all the ingredients except for these two, so I ordered some online before I began:

Anise seed. I bought in bulk this time as I use a lot of it in making italian sausage, baking, etc. Saved a few dollars that way.

..and Fermento—which as many of you know, is essentially finely-powdered buttermilk—use to replicate the 'tang' of dry fermented sausages (without the time, trouble or the effort). My first 'go' at using the stuff....

I picked up some 19mm collagen casings too. The last sticks I made were 22mm, so I thought I'd go a bit smaller...

10 lbs of lean (90/10) beef & pork ground (pork butt) & mixed with spices & cure. One Change: I used about half the stated amount of red wine the recipe called for.My concern was 'overpowering' the flavor profile with a 'boozy' or 'winey' taste—something that'll drive my boys away from trying them. I let these sit overnight & then stuffed the sticks.

I let the sticks hang for about an hour@120° to dry before applying any smoke. Then I began applying the smoke. I'm using Hickory here. Smoking just started...

Two hours in. I noticed the left side was getting 'more' color than the right so I moved the smoke generator (A-Maze-In smoker) to the right side in an attempt to balance the smoke application.

I gradually raised the smoker temp over the course of the next 6-7 hours up to 185°—about 10° every hour, until the IT of the sticks hit 155° & then I pulled the sticks.

Blooming on racks...

Getting that nice color & texture...

I'll let these sit in my fridge about 2-3 days to continue to firm & dry a bit more before cutting them up into serving sizes & placing them in containers.

Two days later:

All sliced & ready to put into containers...

Close up...

All loaded & ready to go....

Very tasty sticks! Definitely a strong pepperoni aftertaste that hits you after a few bites. Plenty of heat, too.
Thanks again, Nepas, for sharing this recipe.
My boys & I give it a thumbs up!

—Kevin

pikeman_95

Kevin

Great presentation and good looking sticks. I was glad to see you back in the saddle. It sure is hard to find the time sometimes. I thought your freezer might have been full.

How do you store these, or do the boys make that a non issue??

Kirby

SiFumar

Now I have to make these!  Did a great job!

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ghost9mm

As always Kevin...the pepperoni sticks look awesome...well done...great presentation...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Kevin A

Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 18, 2011, 09:07:56 PM

How do you store these, or do the boys make that a non issue??

Kirby

I really havent had to worry about long-term storage on most of the sticks I make because, as you noted, my boys pretty much obliterate them within a week or so.  ;D

Sailor

I am going to get off my fat a$$ and make a batch of these this weekend.  I have been wanting to try this recipe ever since NEPAS  posted the receipt  ;D  I sure hope mine comes out out good as yours.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

jiggerjams

Those do look really good. Is there ever a concern with the bottoms of the sticks finishing before the tops where they are hung from?

Kevin A

Quote from: jiggerjams on October 19, 2011, 10:21:28 AMIs there ever a concern with the bottoms of the sticks finishing before the tops where they are hung from?
I keep a heavy foil-lined pan directly above the heat source (beneath the sticks) to allow the heat to dissipate around rather than directly on the meat. I haven't noticed any unevenness in the cooking with this method, and this may also be partly due to a prolonged low cook temp (130-175°).

NePaSmoKer

Look real good Kevin.....................Nice job  ;D

jiggerjams

SouthernSmoked

Great job on the sticks Kevin!

Where did you get the storage containers?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kevin A

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on October 19, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
Where did you get the storage containers?

Costco.....I used the ones they sell for nuts (food-grade).
Poke a few holes in the top before re-using.

OU812

GREAT job Kevin!

Them sticks look awesome!