Casings

Started by nodak, December 17, 2005, 08:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

newbie here. been lurking here for a week thinking you all have an obsessive problem[:D] with your smokers now I'm actually joining ya'll[:o)].

Smoker came this week and I might try seasoning it today when I go outside to push snow it's about 10F here, so trying to work up the ambition in the weather.

Was wondering what kind of casings are best when I make sausage, I don't like a tough casing.

thanks.

iceman

If your making link sausage such as Italian or Brats or something of that nature, natural hog or sheep casing is the way to go. You can get it just about anywhere or mail order it. It comes in hobby packs or full hanks packed it salt and keeps just about forever. You just rinse and flush it and start stuffing. Salami and Summer sausages are normally stuffed in a fiberous casing and then dried and smoked. Same source as before. I'm sure Olds or Gordo or any of the guys here can get you hooked up with a source close to your home.Welcome to the site nodak and don't let the weather slow you down. Get that thing up and running and start enjoying the finer things in life.Smoke it if ya got it. Enjoy and happy holidays.[:D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

nodak

Thanks for the info iceman. I can find them locally just wasn't sure what would be the most tender.

Wish I wud've found this site b4 I ordered my bradley. thought it was going to be a little easier to keep temp constant in it.  I like the set it and forget it concept.  Maybe someday I'll add it on if I use my smoker a lot so I can justify it to myself, I'm kinda tight that way and if i wait long enough i can talk myself out of it.

IKnowWood

nodak, I am still evaluating this set it and forget it thing.  I have used mine for a few items and last time with hot smoke, I only did 4 hours and it was not not a pain.  I got the remote thermo (Maverick ET 73) along with a few others depending on volume of items.  and it wasnot bad.  I am still learning.  And a lot more patient.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

JJC

I got my first BS (I now have 2) just about a year ago, give or take a few days.  I immediately got a Mav ET-73 and was quite dependent on it.  About a month ago, I accidentally left the ET-73 at our place in Maine when I brought the new smoker up there.  Since then, I have cold-smoked 35# pistachios, 15# cheese, and 10# lox, along with hot-smoking several 5-8# pork butts, 20# salmon, 15# steelhead, and 10# of sausage.  I "calibrated" the BS door thermometer against a good oven thermometer so I knew how far off it would be (less than 10F in my case).  For the fish, I just go by the finger press method and how it looks; for the thicker/larger meats, I just check the internal temp once in a while with the oven thermometer.  Haven't come close to ruining anything yet. Olds just uses his hand to figure out the cabinet temp, but my hand isn't that educated.  My point is that as you get experience with the BS and learn to trust the low and slow method, you won't need to be too anal about checking the temps.  That being said, I still have my eye on a Raptor-Guru, but mainly to allow me to smoke while I am away for the day and have the unit shut down when I'm not around.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Bassman

Nodak,
I like natural hog casings when I make fresh sausage or kielbasie(sp). If they are soaked in warm water for about a 1/2 hour or so it helps to make them tender.HTH

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack