Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Lee

Has anyone cold smoked steaks then vacuum sealed them and froze
them to grill at a later date?
If you have dose this work well.

Thank You

Jerry

IKnowWood

I have hot smoked some strips to istll rare (for 1 hour) then grilled them normal and it was out of this world.  I figure cold smoke and vacu-pack and freeze would be so-so...

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Oldman

I hate to say this but smoked beef steaks and then grill them IMO is Yuck... just don't care for the taste.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

I have to agree with Olds on the smoked steak thing. Lightly season it, sear it, cook it rare and eat it. There are very few things that you just don't smoke and that's one of them. A good juicy steak is made for high heat and fast grilling. Now if you'll excuse me I have a rib eye that's waiting by the grill. I don't know what it is but every time I get on this site I get hungry.[;)]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

BigSmoker

LOL I love a cold smoked steak the grilled but hey I never froze them then tried it.  To each his own for sure.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Would the vacu-suck & freeze process function much the way the cheese kings have recommended & mellow the flavor throughout the meat to make it more desireable?

Don't know, just a thought.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Jerry Lee

I'll let you know after I try it,I'm sure I won't have to throw
them to the dogs.I just may only do it once.

Jerry

whitetailfan

Never froze em, but when I first started I posed a similar question, and on Chez Bubba's recommendation I cold smoked some steak and then overnighted in the fridge, with a grill the following day.
I thought it was great.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

bsolomon

Personally, I like them cold smoked and then grilled too, but I can see where it would be an acquired taste.  Or rather, a change in expectation might be the better words - you are typically used to steaks tasting one way, and this does make them taste different.  Some would say better, some would say worse, but definitely differnet that you would probably expect.

I did cold smoke a small batch and froze a couple for grilling later.  I don't recall any distinct difference in flavor as compared to the one that wasn't frozen, but there were a couple of weeks difference and it's hard to remember flavor for comparison.

Oldman

When I want a smoke flavoring on my beef steaks I build a roaring fire out of oak wood and once the wood is charred down I then cook them. [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!