Curing time, Warning, NooBe post

Started by winemakers, December 18, 2005, 01:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winemakers

I'm pondering the necessary curing time for most meats, e.g.: Buckboard bacon, pork loin bacon, whole fowl, etc.  My bible has been a sausage making book (purchased from sausagemaker.com) that that advocates spray-pumping (read-injection) of brining products.  This book is a wealth of knowledge regarding recipes for traditional sausage types and ingredients, smoking times and temps etc.  A good evening read for those of us addicted to 'smokin'.

I was able to purchase a ss-injector with a 4 oz capacity for <$10 (warning: cheapskate appeal!) by lurking on the web endlessly.  The needle on this puppy is +/- 6" long, allowing for the placement of brining/curing product to the center of virtually all of my "projects".

I understand the safety issues/chemical/osmotic necessity regarding proper dispersal time of the curative agents, salt, nitrate(ite)s, etc.  My issue revolves around an adequate reduction of soaking only times vs. injection times.  

As a geek engineer, we live by example, such as, posts for pork loin bacon present brining times on the order of 10 days with some individual variation for brine types and tastes.  My reference book presents an injected brining time of 4 to 6 days.

In our convoluted modern lives it is a boatload easier for me to start a smoker project on a Tues/Wed. projecting four days into this weekend to set aside smoking time than it is to start a project on this Wednesday, looking into NEXT weekend.

After all this long winded stuff, what I am soliciting is any and all suggestions or guidelines on safely adjusting downward brining/curing times for injection vs. soaking.

thanks all

mld

whitetailfan

No expert here, but injection certainly is designed to cut down brine time.  I would suggest close to half time, but that would depend on the amount of brine injected (percent of green weight).

Personally, I would follow your guidelines as you reference your sausage book.  I have heard a rule of thumb for straight brining of about 3 days per inch.  HTH.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

winemakers

Thanks big rack,

Where I was going was in attemting to convert the multitude of recipes on this forum into 'injectables'.  I was thinking along the same line as 1/2 the brining, thickness dependent.  And as always here, some other variables need to be taken into account.  Some items dont lend to injection, others (chicken parts per say) brine quickly enough not to present a significant advantage.

mld